College of Pharmacy receives full accreditation

The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) Board of Directors has awarded full accreditation status to the Belmont University College of Pharmacy (BUCOP). ACPE, the official regulatory body that accredits all colleges of pharmacy in the United States, reviewed Belmont at its June meeting and made the announcement on June 28. The accreditation extends until June 30, 2014, which is the customary two-year term for a new program receiving full accreditation status.

Belmont’s College of Pharmacy Dean Dr. Phil Johnston said, “This wonderful announcement is the culmination of efforts from so many great people, from our Board of Trustees, our Belmont University leadership, wonderful faculty and our students.  We also must thank so many health care professionals, especially pharmacists in the Nashville region, for working with us this past five years.  We could not have provided such rich experiences without them.  And I want to particularly thank the first graduating class who were the pioneers in the program, and who now are preparing to practice throughout the country.”

After opening its doors in 2007, BUCOP provided students with the skills to contribute to the growing health care needs of Nashville. BUCOP graduated its charter class on May 5, 2012 with 65 members of the Class of 2012 receiving their Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree. The initial class has paved the way for future BUCOP students, setting a high standard for academic excellence and community service. The Class of 2016, which enrolls in August, is full with 75 students taking all available seats.

Belmont President Bob Fisher said, “This accreditation represents another milestone in Belmont’s efforts to develop a premier allied health services program. I am proud of the students, faculty and staff who have worked so hard to make this happen, and deeply appreciative of Clayton McWhorter and other donors who helped to create the perfect space for Pharmacy studies to take place.”

Since the college’s first class was admitted in August 2008, students’ academic accomplishments and service has grown exponentially each year. Students have filled more than 7,800 prescriptions in Belmont’s Health Services Pharmacy.  They have earned numerous awards and honors, including ranking in the top eight out of 84 competing schools in the 2011 American College of Clinical Pharmacy’s Clinical Pharmacy Challenge, receiving the Respect, Excellence and Service in Pharmacy (RESPy) Award for excellence in pharmaceutical care and placing in the top 10 in the 2011 American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists’ Clinical Skills Competition.  BUCOP faculty and students have participated in medical mission service in Cambodia, Guatemala, Ghana and Oglala Sioux Nation in South Dakota to meet health care needs of underserved residents locally and globally and performed, and its student organizations averaged 800 hours of community service a semester through their work with nonprofits and events in Nashville.

Belmont PT student selected for sports physical therapy residency at Ohio State

Kate Glaws, a current doctoral student in the Belmont University School of Physical Therapy, has been selected for the Sports Physical Therapy Residency Program at The Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center.  The residency is one of 22 APTA credentialed programs in sports physical therapy in the United States.   Kate was selected from among 30 applicants to the program and will begin the 16-month residency after graduating with a Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) from Belmont this August.

“This is a notable accomplishment for Kate as this process is highly competitive due to the limited number of positions available in the United States,” said Dr. Michael Voight, a professor in the School of Physical Therapy at Belmont.   He added, “Kate exemplifies all of the characteristics required to excel in this type of post-graduate education.  The residency at OSU is considered one of the best in the country with a very distinguished faculty.”

The OSU residency provides opportunity to receive clinical training in sports physical therapy from physical therapists and physicians specializing in orthopedics and sports medicine, to participate in research at the University’s biomechanics research laboratory, and to treat sports patients.  Residents gain experience working with OSU’s athletic programs, treating athletes in Division I sports, club sports and at USA National Governing Body of Sports Medicine events.  Residents also instruct orthopedic and cadaveric labs in OSU’s entry-level PT program.

As a PT student at Belmont, Kate co-authored with fellow students Sarahann Callaway, Melissa Mitchell and Heather Scerbo and faculty members Mike Voight and Pat Sells, a research study exploring the relationship between peak pelvis rotation, gluteus medius, and gluteus maximus strength on a golfer’s handicap.   The study was published in the June 2012 edition of the International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy.

Kate entered the DPT program at Belmont after graduating from Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) Honors College with a degree in accounting.  At IUP, Kate was team captain of the women’s basketball team for two years, and in her senior season led the Crimson Hawks to the PSAC Conference Championship and the NCAA Division II Sweet Sixteen where she was selected to the All-Tournament team.  She also was named to ESPN the Magazine’s Academic All-District II Women’s Basketball First Team in 2007 following a Second Team selection in 2006.

Mission to Cambodia Day 18

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Erin Pettepher and Audrey Robinson

Wow! This trip has been such a blessing for each and every one of us. We have had amazing opportunities to see and receive the love from God’s children here, as well as opportunities to share that same love. Our last full day in Cambodia was packed with fun activities. We started our day out with visiting Phnom Penh Church of Christ. Both of us got the chance to sing with the church. And when we say sing, we mean standing up on stage, with the microphone ON, singing our little hearts out. Both of our families can attest that we should not be leading worship, but we know that God does not ask for a pretty sound but a joyful sound. And boy were we JOYFUL! It was so amazing to hear the songs sung in English and Khmer and all the while knowing that God understood it all. Big thanks for Tyler for truly leading worship as well as encouraging us to sing higher and louder than we probably should have. Words cannot describe how thankful we are for being able to meet our brothers and sisters in the church across the world. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 18

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Tyler Moser

Today was one of my favorite days in Cambodia. I went to the Goldstone school for my last time, to help out with some painting projects that they had. I arrived late because of a communication break down (common place in Cambodia). I got to work as soon as  I could because I only had a a few hours to paint three walls with a single, 4 inch brush.

After lunch at “My Burger”, which was as close to Five Guys as they have on Cambodia, I got some much needed R&R. But the best part of the day was still to come. Erin, Audrey, and I all went to the church office to practice music for Sunday service. The practice lasted about 2 hours, and was awesome. The music was uplifting, and praising God with Christians from all across the world is one of the coolest things that I have done on this trip. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 17

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Cameray Hart

Let me start off by saying that it has been an emotional week for all of us.  Between HIV home visits, trips to Tuol Sleng and The Killing Fields, and our last days at the hospital, there has been strong emotions all around.  We were feeling sadness, anger, hopelessness, and even some guilt.  However, today can only be described as “joyful.”

The morning started off with our annual service project, the rice drive.  Every year, through the church, we help an impoverished population within a certain community outside of Phnom Penh.  We ended up back at the community last year’s trip donated rice to.  All of the recipients of our gifts this year were widows.  Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 16

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Becca Pippin

This morning, we traveled about an hour to Tangkhiev Village to visit their mobile clinic. Twice a week, a doctor and a couple nurses go there to see patients and give the people medications they need. Many deaths are caused by people taking fake medicine, so the education provided by these healthcare workers is as valuable as the medication they give.

Cassie had a quick pharmacology lesson (pictured right) and helped fill prescriptions. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 15

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Cassie Wright

Today we went to the killing fields outside of Phnom Pehn. It was one of the hardest things to make myself do. Many of us did not want to go after Tuol Sleng and seeing how the people of this country were tortured, but we went anyway. I was shocked at how beautiful of a place the killing fields were despite the ugly horrors that were committed here. We were guided by audio tour headphones that gave a description of every stop along a path that went through the field. The path guided you along where the Cambodians would have been taken. The first stop was at the truck stop where blindfolded Cambodians would be taken off the truck and accounted for. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia – An Appeal

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Susan Taplin

We are writing this blog from the group to let you know about a young woman we met in Battambang province.  Her name is Chhor Wan. She is 14 years old. She was a patient at the Handa Emergency Hospital which we visited while we were there.

This is her story: Chhor Wan has been living with her grandmother since she was five years old. Her parents divorced and her mother left her in her grandmother’s care. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 14

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Amelia Brown

Today our group split up and did different things. Most of the group helped with nursing check offs at the hospital. Once a year the nurses are  required to take an oral exam where they must produce the steps to basic procedures used in the hospital. The goal is to explain the steps in English. Our group was therefore quite useful in administering the check offs. Apparently the check offs were largely a success since most people passed!  These nurses left the hospital today feeling relieved and reassured in their skills.

Cameray and I went on HIV home visits today. We accompanied a social worker, Chhavelith,  to the countryside to check on HIV families that are waiting to move into new homes built by habitat for humanity.  The first couple we visited lived in a one room hut made from wooden posts with tarps as the roof and walls. The woman not only has the HIV virus, but also just finished treatment for TB. The tarp serving as the ceiling had a hole in it and was leaking. Since it is the rainy season in Cambodia, this couple was consistently wet.  They were still extremely cheerful because they are expecting to have a house built for them in a couple of months. Cameray and I decided that we wanted to get this couple a tarp so they could be dry their last few months living there. After we visited two more HIV families in this village, we rode 45 minutes back to the city. Once we got back, we went to the market and bought a tarp for the first couple we met. We assumed the couple wouldn’t receive the tarp for a few days, whenever Chhavelith went back for another visit.  Chhavelith called the couple and told them we bought the tarp. They were ecstatic and said they’d ride a bike in to pick it up today. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 13

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Elizabeth Vorholt

Today we got the opportunity to step outside the hospital and into the homes of some patients of Sihanouk Hospital Center of Hope. Cassie, Becca, Emily, and I tagged along with two members of the Home Based Care team, who regularly visit patients living with HIV and AIDS to check in on their progress. This morning, we visited three families within walking distance of the hospital in Phnom Penh. We ventured down alleyways and up pitched black concrete spiral staircases to enter the homes, and got a real glimpse into life in the city. These families live together in one room, which they rent for $25 per month. Continue reading

Pharmacy student ministers in Guatemala with surgery team

In addition to the two Belmont sponsored mission trips to Guatemala this spring by health science students, Belmont pharmacy student Bethany Bedford also traveled to the country this spring with a surgery team from Mending Kids International and Duke University Children’s Hospital on another mission trip for The Shalom Foundation.   The doctors saw 174 patients and the team performed 48 surgeries on children from across the country at the Moore Pediatric Surgery Center in Guatemala City.  Bethany and other team members blogged about their experience and some of Bethany’s posts about her learning experiences are excerpted below:

April 14, 2012 – Today is a “get acclimated” day, and tomorrow will start the screening process, with Monday being the kick off for the surgeries.  Meanwhile, I’ll be in the pharmacy, finding places for things, cleaning things, checking medications/ expiration dates, drinking more amazing coffee, and looking at names I’ve never seen before. . . . .(click link below for more) Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Faculty Update

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Susan Taplin & Emily Morse

Greetings from Cambodia.  Emily and I want to extend a special thank you to all of the parents, families, boyfriends, etc who have entrusted your young women and one man into our care.  These young people are incredible.  Their hearts and minds are beautiful, growing, and giving to each other as well as Cambodia.  Every day we are impressed with the depth of thought and emotion that is evident in all.  We feel very blessed to be able to share in their lives.  The trip is going very well with very few hiccups along the way.  We have been having morning devotionals almost every day and I believe the presence of God is alive and well within this group…protecting, teaching and guiding with the holy spirit.  Two of the students have led the devotionals to date and we love to learn from them and see their perspectives of God. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 12

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Emily Graehler

We have been learning about the horrific history of Cambodia for several months now.  However, for me, today was when reality truly sunk in.  It was not until I walked into the buildings at Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum.  My emotions were rocked as faces of hundreds if not thousands of people stared back at me.  These were the images of every single victim who was killed in the prison at Tuol Sleng.  Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 11

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Catherine McMullan

Sunday morning we packed up our things and prepared for the long bus ride from Battambang back to Phnom Penh, but before we left we had the privilege of going to church at Kevin and Anna’s house. In order for this blog to make sense, you should know that I have really been struggling this trip with seeing so much hurt and not being able to do anything about it. I have been on similar trips to Honduras in the past, but my heart has never been as heavy as it has been at some points during this trip. Sunday morning was one of those points. I don’t know why but I woke up that morning incredibly burdened and feeling hopeless, like nothing I could ever do could have even a small impact in anyone’s life. Going to church and seeing the love and inexplicable joy in the faces of people we had met during our time in Battambang was exactly what I needed. Instantly my spirit was lifted and I had peace. Seeing people who are in the middle of such hardships have such contagious joy gave me hope and reassurance that God is definitely still in control.  It also gave me a fresh perspective. I walked in feeling so burdened, but within minutes the love of the Lord that shone through the people in the church completely changed my heart and lifted my spirit. I thought about it on the bus ride home and what a difference the tangible love of God can make for not just me, but every patient I come into contact with.

Of course six hours is a long time to be on a bus. Naturally we were all a little delirious towards the end (see video).  Enjoy! 🙂

Mission to Cambodia Day 10

Mission to Cambodia 2012
Erin Pettefer

Wow! What an amazing day today has been. We started our day off with an early breakfast and a tuk tuk ride to Emergency Hospital in Battambang. After receiving a tour and learning about several patients on rounds, we split into three groups. One group went to the operating room, one group went to ward A (men), and one group went to ward C (women and children). To our surprise everyone received the opportunity to work in each area, and we all got to sit in on two surgeries! Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 9

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Audrey Robinson

Letting go of my plan has always been something that God is teaching me…slowly. One thing that I believe about Jesus that always blows my mind is that He is always working and teaching His children to be more like Him in and through EVERYTHING. Yet again, all the way across the world, I find myself being taught, with love and patience, to let go of myself and empty me of me.  How amazing is that? The God of the universe has chosen to teach me and loves to because He knows I need to let go of all in order to be completely overwhelmed by Him.  Cambodia, the people here, this team, being across the world—God has given each of us here an opportunity to let go and lay down it all and trust He is a great God and is working even when we cannot see.  Romans 12:1 says, “Therefore I urge you brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.”. My prayer for this trip and this group of amazing people is that we continue to offer our bodies where He has placed us now as sacrifices to Jesus.  Letting go of our plans and rising up through the power of the Holy Spirit and shining the light of Christ to this lost and seeking country.

Mission to Cambodia Day 8

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Emily Graehler

This day has been one of my favorites thus far.  We started the day off extra early around 5:00am in order to make it to Ankor Wat in time to watch the sunrise.  Sitting and watching the sunrise provided some quiet time to relax and truly enjoy the experience.  Although it was cloudy, the sun still shone through, allowing some great pictures to be taken by all of the tourists. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 7

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Tyler Moser

So far Cambodia has been amazing. No words can describe all of the things that we have seen, done, or felt during this crazy trip. For me, Cambodia was an opportunity to travel one last time before graduating college. I have always loved to travel, and when Southeast Asia was mentioned, I was like “Sure, why not? It can’t be that bad, and I love Thai food, so at least the cuisine should be fine.”  However,  what Cambodia is, is quite different from what I had imagined or even seen on television, in magazines, etc. The people are truly special, minus the haggling and bartering, I have enjoyed every second of my Asian adventure.

When I originally signed up to be on this trip I was told that I would be the only guy going, and that there were eleven girls. This obviously brought on mixed emotions that were brought upon by my own insecurities. But actually the ladies have been splendid, and there have been two brothers from the church her that have been hanging out with us for the bulk of the trip. So needless to say I’m not lonely, but I am learning a lot about women. 🙂 Continue reading

Bynum has article published in Journal of Leadership, Accountability and Ethics

Pharmacy Assistant Professor Leigh Ann Bynum had her article titled “Organizational Citizenship Behaviors of Pharmacy Faculty: Modeling Influences of Equity Sensitivity, Psychological Contract Breach, and Professional Identity”  accepted for publication in the Journal of Leadership, Accountability and Ethics. Using social exchange and social identity theories, Bynum and her team developed a model and proposed the potential relationships among model constructs to define the impact of psychological contract breach, identity salience and equity sensitivity on organizational citizenship behavior of pharmacy faculty.

Dr. Bynum also recently contributed a textbook chapter on “Customer Service”,  in the third edition of Pharmacy Management: Essentials for All Practice Settings (2012).

Mission to Cambodia Day 5

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Amelia Brown

Today was our first day working in Sihanouk Hospital Center of Hope. We’ve all been anticipating this day and were excited to get to work in the hospital. After arriving, we split up and went to different wings, including the emergency rooms, surgery, the general medical floor. We were put to work doing anything we could to be useful, such as: taking vitals; drawing blood; starting IV’s; checking blood glucose levels; cleaning wounds; etc.

Collectively, our experiences in the hospital were difficult, yet fulfilling. Health care in Cambodia is much different from the United States and nothing like most of us have ever witnessed before. I came on this trip to work in the physiotherapy department because I plan to pursue occupational therapy.  Today I worked in the general medical floor because the therapist was not in the hospital. I think that because I’m not a nursing major like everyone else, working on the floor was probably more shocking to me than it was for the others. I have never interacted with a patient who was in such a life-threatening state so closely before. The experience really gave me a different perspective on health care. I truly realize now how privileged we are to have such abundant treatment options and facilities in the US. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 4

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Cassie Wright

Today has been a whirlwind of sightseeing, bargaining, and praising our God. We slept in today and went to breakfast to decide what to do since there was an election for district representatives. Most of the restaurants and shops were closed or opening late, so we thought that taking a walking tour of the city would be perfect. We were guided by the perfect machine woman Mrs. Taplin. She walked us to the Vietnam memorial and the king’s palace. When there was no more city to walk we went back to the hotel via cyclos, a bike with a seat in the front. These rides were very fun and scary at the same time. There were motos, tuk tuks, and cars whizzing by. It was so much fun and it gave us a cool breeze that was much needed after such a long hot walk. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 3

Mission to Cambodia 2012

my toes in the sand and my head in the clouds
from Elizabeth Vorholt

The short version is, today we: crashed a wedding, sailed the high seas on the way to rabbit island, swam in the gulf of Thailand, and made it back to Phnom Penh by dinnertime.

This morning we woke up in Kep and many of us were shocked to see the ocean was just steps from our door. When we arrived last night, it was pitched black and we all just zombie-walked straight to our rooms from the bus. Imagine the awe we felt this morning when we saw such an incredible view. As we strolled down the street around 7am, we happened across a traditional Cambodian wedding. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Day 2

Mission to Cambodia 2012

A Servant’s Heart

from Cameray Hart

We already are keeping quite busy on our second day in beautiful Cambodia.  Because of our schedules being thrown off so much from the time change, most of us automatically woke up well before 6 or 7.  After a breakfast at the hotel, we headed by bus to southern Cambodia.  The bus ride there was filled with many images one would be hard-pressed to find in the US.  Motos (mopeds or motorcycles) speeding by with Mom, Dad, and their three children piled on.  Market places selling traditional food, handwoven baskets, and other such specialties.  And miles and miles of rice fields.

After driving three hours, we made it to our destination: the city of Kampot. Of course, the first thing we did was have lunch.  The place we picked was called “Natural Bungalow” and it definitely stayed true to the name. We had a bungalow right on the river with the mountains in the background.  The food was good, but the company was better.  Being the only ones at the restaurant, we were able to get to know each other better. Continue reading