Mission to Cambodia Day 3

Mission to Cambodia 2012

my toes in the sand and my head in the clouds
from Elizabeth Vorholt

The short version is, today we: crashed a wedding, sailed the high seas on the way to rabbit island, swam in the gulf of Thailand, and made it back to Phnom Penh by dinnertime.

This morning we woke up in Kep and many of us were shocked to see the ocean was just steps from our door. When we arrived last night, it was pitched black and we all just zombie-walked straight to our rooms from the bus. Imagine the awe we felt this morning when we saw such an incredible view. As we strolled down the street around 7am, we happened across a traditional Cambodian wedding. We had learned that weddings begin as early as 3am as the bride gets up and ready to start her day. There are several ritual ceremonies throughout the day and the receptions can last well into the night. This morning, we saw the presentation of the fruit, where the groom’s friends and family present fruit and other foods in a procession before the bride and groom first see each other. It was beautiful to see how dressed up the wedding party is-the bride changes clothes usually around 10 times throughout the day.

Next, we boarded boats to Rabbit Island. I wish I could muster an adequate description of the boat ride, but there was lots of squealing and hand-squeezing as we fought the waves and got drenched along the way. I think we all agreed it has been a highlight of the trip so far. We spent the day swimming and relaxing in hammocks and bungalows on the beach at Rabbit Island before braving the boats again to return back to Kep.

Every new thing we do becomes our favorite. Yesterday, we toured an exquisite new hospital and drove to the top of a beautiful mountain. When we reached the peak, it started to rain and we were surrounded by fog-we were standing in a cloud. It doesn’t get much better than that. I cannot believe all that I have learned and felt and been apart of-and we’re only 3 days in. The country of Cambodia has charmed us all. I’ve got my toes in the sand and my head in the clouds.

6 thoughts on “Mission to Cambodia Day 3

1. What a blessing to hear about your first few days….the beach trip sounded wonderful. You are heading into your first days at the hospital and you will be feeling all sorts of emotions (as you already have!). Treasure each day, each moment, each encounter with staff, patients, and families. You will see so much in the faces of the dear Cambodians. Love to all of you! Keary (a.k.a. Mrs Dryden!) p.s. drink some iced coffee!

• Oh….my how we have been drinking the iced coffee. I do believe I have gotten almost all of us addicted!!!!! Must wean from coffee before leaving. We miss you Keary and all are asking about you.

2. Elizabeth and the Belmont crew,
    Glad to hear that Susan had you relaxing on an island, with all the traveling you all have done, its still going to be a few more days before you start feeling normal. Its an incredible place isn’t it. I’m sure the Cambodians are very grateful to have you there. There are many needs. Keep your heart open, you are about to be transformed.

thanks for the posts
    Om Chaz

• Bong Sra Lang,

Miss you and thanks for the comments. Had to relax them before running them through the city 🙂 Keep the boys well! So glad Grand Harriett came to visit. Kiss them all three…..
      Love you,
      Oun Sra Lang Neak

3. Love the pictures, I see a potential painting in them. Glad you are all doing well.

Love you Sue.

Marg

Comments are closed.