Mission to Cambodia Day 5

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Amelia Brown

Today was our first day working in Sihanouk Hospital Center of Hope. We’ve all been anticipating this day and were excited to get to work in the hospital. After arriving, we split up and went to different wings, including the emergency rooms, surgery, the general medical floor. We were put to work doing anything we could to be useful, such as: taking vitals; drawing blood; starting IV’s; checking blood glucose levels; cleaning wounds; etc.

Collectively, our experiences in the hospital were difficult, yet fulfilling. Health care in Cambodia is much different from the United States and nothing like most of us have ever witnessed before. I came on this trip to work in the physiotherapy department because I plan to pursue occupational therapy.  Today I worked in the general medical floor because the therapist was not in the hospital. I think that because I’m not a nursing major like everyone else, working on the floor was probably more shocking to me than it was for the others. I have never interacted with a patient who was in such a life-threatening state so closely before. The experience really gave me a different perspective on health care. I truly realize now how privileged we are to have such abundant treatment options and facilities in the US.

I found it amazing and completely inspiring how although many of these Cambodians were facing death, they are some of the most cheerful and genuine people I have ever met. Although seeing so many sick people today was difficult for me, I left the hospital feeling more hopeful and full than I have in a long time. I think I can speak for the rest of the group as well in saying that although we all saw things today that made our hearts ache, we left that hospital today fulfilled in a way many of us haven’t been before. We’re all excited to go back tomorrow and do it all over again.

After the hospital, most of us decided to lighten our day by making a trip to Beautiful Shoes. There we were able to order any style, color, and type of shoe you can imagine. It was fun to design our own shoes and then have them fit perfectly to our feet. We ended our day with dinner at a restaurant called Flavours, where we recapped on our highs and lows from today. We are all looking forward to our future experiences in the hospital with the beautiful Cambodians we have the privilege to meet.

7 thoughts on “Mission to Cambodia Day 5

1. Sounds amazing, so proud of you, Amelia! I’m sure your presence touched those people as much as theirs did you. xoxo

2. Amelia, the Cambodians are such grateful people. I am sure your first day was overwhelming & wonderful at the same time! Your trip to Beautiful Shoes made me think of Romans 10:15 “how beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news”. That is what you all are doing!

3. Thank you Amelia for the great blog. What a wonderful opportunity for all of you.

4. Amelia,
    I am sure the patients and families appreciated you being there on the medical ward. I cannot imagine what their thoughts are, laying there in that hot room, perhaps preparing to die. They are beautiful people. Please take care of them.
    Thanks for sharing your day.

Om Chaz

5. Great post. And I can’t think of a better way to end the day than with a new pair of custom made and designed shoes. Here is one of my favorite quotes:
    “Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world”
    – Marilyn Monroe

Seriously, thank you for your post.
    God Bless
    Marg

6. Hey Amelia,
    Not sure if we ever met in the info meetings, but I was in the group of Belmont SON students who went to Cambodia last year. It’s great to hear about your first day at Sihanouk Hospital Center of Hope. The place is truly a blessing to Phnom Pehn with beautiful staff caring for beautiful people. I’m glad you’re seeing just how grateful, cheerful, kind, and strong the Khmer really are in spite of their circumstances being in the hospital. Pretty amazing how the people you are there to help end up helping you so much more. I miss being there as I read your group’s posts, but I’m happy y’all are there helping and experiencing Cambodia. Enjoy it and know you’re doing something amazing!

God Bless,
    Michael