Mission to Cambodia Day 13

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Elizabeth Vorholt

Today we got the opportunity to step outside the hospital and into the homes of some patients of Sihanouk Hospital Center of Hope. Cassie, Becca, Emily, and I tagged along with two members of the Home Based Care team, who regularly visit patients living with HIV and AIDS to check in on their progress. This morning, we visited three families within walking distance of the hospital in Phnom Penh. We ventured down alleyways and up pitched black concrete spiral staircases to enter the homes, and got a real glimpse into life in the city. These families live together in one room, which they rent for $25 per month. Continue reading

Pharmacy student ministers in Guatemala with surgery team

In addition to the two Belmont sponsored mission trips to Guatemala this spring by health science students, Belmont pharmacy student Bethany Bedford also traveled to the country this spring with a surgery team from Mending Kids International and Duke University Children’s Hospital on another mission trip for The Shalom Foundation.   The doctors saw 174 patients and the team performed 48 surgeries on children from across the country at the Moore Pediatric Surgery Center in Guatemala City.  Bethany and other team members blogged about their experience and some of Bethany’s posts about her learning experiences are excerpted below:

April 14, 2012 – Today is a “get acclimated” day, and tomorrow will start the screening process, with Monday being the kick off for the surgeries.  Meanwhile, I’ll be in the pharmacy, finding places for things, cleaning things, checking medications/ expiration dates, drinking more amazing coffee, and looking at names I’ve never seen before. . . . .(click link below for more) Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia Faculty Update

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Susan Taplin & Emily Morse

Greetings from Cambodia.  Emily and I want to extend a special thank you to all of the parents, families, boyfriends, etc who have entrusted your young women and one man into our care.  These young people are incredible.  Their hearts and minds are beautiful, growing, and giving to each other as well as Cambodia.  Every day we are impressed with the depth of thought and emotion that is evident in all.  We feel very blessed to be able to share in their lives.  The trip is going very well with very few hiccups along the way.  We have been having morning devotionals almost every day and I believe the presence of God is alive and well within this group…protecting, teaching and guiding with the holy spirit.  Two of the students have led the devotionals to date and we love to learn from them and see their perspectives of God. Continue reading