Mission to Cambodia Day 18

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Tyler Moser

Today was one of my favorite days in Cambodia. I went to the Goldstone school for my last time, to help out with some painting projects that they had. I arrived late because of a communication break down (common place in Cambodia). I got to work as soon as  I could because I only had a a few hours to paint three walls with a single, 4 inch brush.

After lunch at “My Burger”, which was as close to Five Guys as they have on Cambodia, I got some much needed R&R. But the best part of the day was still to come. Erin, Audrey, and I all went to the church office to practice music for Sunday service. The practice lasted about 2 hours, and was awesome. The music was uplifting, and praising God with Christians from all across the world is one of the coolest things that I have done on this trip.

Then, Sovann, the church leader, drove us to play some soccer. He took us to one of the only lit fields in Phnom Penh, and on top of that it was all turf. It was a blast. I have had only one opportunity to play soccer once since being here, but it was pretty cool being able to show that Americans can play some too. Audrey and I cleaned house, even though Audrey was hurting all of the Cambodians unintentionally :). Then we got back into the car and returned to our hotel about 2 hours later feeling encouraged, from our time with the brothers and from a good workout.

But as I reflect back on my time in Cambodia, I notice how much I have grown, and how much each of the girl have grown. We have all had to work out character issues and insecurities that we all have.  I know for me it was interesting going with all women. It brought on certain challenges, and for me personally it was an opportunity for growth. I love every single woman on this trip in a different way.

Elizabeth – you are easy to talk to and lovable. You have great insight and a good view on life. You like to have fun, but you are mature enough to be serious when needed.

Cassie – You are beautiful on the inside and outside. Your ability to get any child to love you is special and says something about your heart. You love so deeply, which was evident by your home sickness. I’m glad you went on this trip with me.

Becca – I’m so glad I got to meet you in this trip. You are so fun, all of your stories are funny and remind me of a reality TV show for some reason. You are easy to talk to and easy to love. The group needed you on this trip to lighten the mood and to laugh.

Catherine – The experienced traveler. Your maturity was a rock on this trip. The girls needed your attitude and your outlook on life to be balanced. I enjoyed  every conversation that we had. When you talk, people listen because you are respected by every person on this trip.

Amelia – My co-teacher. Getting to know you was so different from everyone else. We already kind of knew each other, and our friends run in the same circles. But I’m glad we had this opportunity. I loved watching you come out of your shell and serve people. You always wanted to help people while you were here and it bugged you so much when you weren’t able to do anything.  Love you, can’t wait to continue our friendship after we get home.

Erin – Bubbles. You have such an awesome personality and great heart. There is nothing fake about you. You are the way that God created you to be, and I hope that nothing changes you in the future. I loved watching you be pushed spiritually in this trip, and eventually singing with me on our last Sunday here.

Audrey – The glass is always at least half full with you. You are so in love with God and all of the people around you. We all can learn how to love more deeply from you. I loved playing soccer with you, singing with you, and getting to know you better.

Emily – All I have to say is thank God we had you on this trip to capture this  wild adventure. Your maturity has been a glad sight on this trip. You never lost your cool, and were always helping somebody. I know that this trip for you showed you some things about yourself and about your faith. It has been a privilege getting to know you. You have many layers, and are pretty complex, yet easy to relate to. “Your heart is like deep waters”

Cameray – So glad you came. I find your sense of humor so funny. I love the sass that sometimes exudes from your being. You are so sweet and lovable. Your passions are so clear to everyone around you. You are driven and will succeed at nursing because you truly love every aspect of the job; even if it is at summer camp with gross 10 year olds. Thank you for being a light to this group.

My trip has been awesome, but the best part was creating relationships that I will never forget. The church here is amazing, and all glory to God. We are truly blessed to live where we live, and to be able to be in a position to travel and see parts of the world that are less fortunate than the U.S.  Lastly, I want to thank Emily and Susan for guiding us in this trip and giving their hearts to us. I could not imagine being on the trip with different leaders. They lead by example and love deeply. Cambodia is truly the gem of South East Asia, and I would suggest it,to anyone.

With love.  Tyler

7 thoughts on “Mission to Cambodia Day 18

1. What a beautiful tribute to your traveling companions Tyler. I know your trip had to be adventurous, exciting and intriquing with 11 women by your side night and day. It looks like you held up to the challenge and we parents greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness and insight into the personalities and strenghts of our daughters while far away from home. I know that each of you learned tremendously and drew strength from as well as depended upon each other while on your trip. I know that the bonds that you have forged will not be easily broken. Thanks for being everything needed for the girls. You’re the MAN! You deserve an extra special hug when you return to Nashville!

We are counting down the hours!
    Cathy Pettepher

2. Thank you, Tyler, for your insight on Cambodia and also about each person on the trip.

3. God blessed you with a wonderful experience to serve him. Now I pray for a safe trip home for the group.
    You are a brave man to be the only guy on this trip. Thanks for the help you gave the girls.

4. Tyler what a gift we have had having you with us. The depth of your soul is evident in this post. What courage it takes to be so open and real. You have not held back in forming relationships with every person on this trip whether Cambodian or American or Swiss. Thanks for using the talents God had given you. Love you!

5. I am sorry this blog is coming to an end. All of you have blessed me with your comments and willingness to jump in there and be a part of this trip. Thanks for all the things all of you did to make this an experience that will never fade from your memories.

6. Awesome to read about each of you! Safe travels home from a trip of a lifetime!

7. I have greatly enjoyed reading all of your posts and stories throughout your trip. Emily is my closest girl friend and I enjoy living vicariously through her world travels! One day I hope to join her on her trek to Cambodia. Through her stories and your blog posts, I can tell God is ever-present there, and it is a blessing just to read about it. I can’t even imagine the feelings you must have experiencing that kind of unconditional friendship and kindness.

Thanks to each of your for stepping out in faith to go on this journey. I know you had an excellent teacher and leader in Emily. I can’t wait to hear all the stories! More than anything, thanks for making sure my best friend had the time of her life and is getting home safely. I have missed her but I’m glad I could share her with you for a few weeks 🙂