Mission to Cambodia Day 8

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Emily Graehler

This day has been one of my favorites thus far.  We started the day off extra early around 5:00am in order to make it to Ankor Wat in time to watch the sunrise.  Sitting and watching the sunrise provided some quiet time to relax and truly enjoy the experience.  Although it was cloudy, the sun still shone through, allowing some great pictures to be taken by all of the tourists.

Throughout the day, three of our favorite tuktuk drivers drove us from one temple to the next in order to see as many as possible during our one full day in Siem Reap. We began our walking tour at Ankor Wat then went to Bayon, Baphuon, and Ta Prohm.  We were lucky to have MJ and Mrs. Taplin with us to share their insights about each engraving, rock formation and temple.  I loved seeing the history and the age revealed within these temples because each had a story.  Just like each Cambodian I have met.  They all have stories.  Most are not yet ready to share, however, we have been blessed to hear a few incredible survivor stories from Mrs. Taplin’s closest friends from the church.  Hearing these stories have really enhanced my outlook on life.  I am sure to treat everyone I meet with respect because I do not know what they have been through and it is not my right to judge.  We cannot understand where they are coming from unless we take the time to listen and find out.

A few of the temples looked like piles of rock from afar, but once we took the time to walk through them, we discovered the unique beauty that each had to offer.  Here in Cambodia my goal is to find the beauty in every person and every situation I encounter because I know it can be found if I make the effort to look.

5 thoughts on “Mission to Cambodia Day 8

1. Emily, What a beautiful description of a beautiful day! Your insight into the crumbling temple walls is beautiful. And I know you have been impacted by hearing the stories of the Cambodian friends. Loved the pictures!

2. The temples look beautiful indeed as well as intriguing. It is amazing to see what individuals were capable of building so many years ago without the tools we would use today. I was thrilled to see so many smiling faces, especially yours Erin! Much love, Mom.

3. Thank you for your post, Emily. I was especially inspired by what you said about not judging people but listening to their stories. That is an important lesson that can be practiced anywhere on earth!

4. Nothing like walking through temples built nine and ten centuries ago and being able to touch (kiss?) them. They were built by hundreds of thousand workers, many of which took over a hundred years to build. They are truly amazing.

The Cambodians used to allow tourist to assend the third tier of the Angkor Wat. Initially only the brave ventured up there because of the perilous small steps leading up to the top. Eventually, they put in a handrail on one set of stairs to help people get back down.

Thanks for sharing your photos. They bring back a lot of memories.

Om Chaz

Comments are closed.