Mission to Cambodia Day 7

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Tyler Moser

So far Cambodia has been amazing. No words can describe all of the things that we have seen, done, or felt during this crazy trip. For me, Cambodia was an opportunity to travel one last time before graduating college. I have always loved to travel, and when Southeast Asia was mentioned, I was like “Sure, why not? It can’t be that bad, and I love Thai food, so at least the cuisine should be fine.”  However,  what Cambodia is, is quite different from what I had imagined or even seen on television, in magazines, etc. The people are truly special, minus the haggling and bartering, I have enjoyed every second of my Asian adventure.

When I originally signed up to be on this trip I was told that I would be the only guy going, and that there were eleven girls. This obviously brought on mixed emotions that were brought upon by my own insecurities. But actually the ladies have been splendid, and there have been two brothers from the church her that have been hanging out with us for the bulk of the trip. So needless to say I’m not lonely, but I am learning a lot about women. 🙂

My highlight has been going to the free hospital and the school that HOPE worldwide has opened here. It is inspiring what some disciples of Christ can do when they put their trust in God, and work hard. I also have done the unforgivable, at least in Susan’s eyes, I rode on a moto. Oh and by the way, going through Cambodian traffic on the back of the moped is exciting, yet crazy. I was sure I was good with my maker before I hoped on the back of one.

The other posts will detail what we have done so far in our trip, but the main point of my post was to encourage the parents of the girls, and also anyone who reads the blog. Cambodia is an awesome place, our every need is being catered for, not only by Belmont, but also by the people of Cambodia. Their bright smiles and broken English jokes remind me that I am not at home, but in a place that I will never forget. We’ll be home soon. Love you Mom and Dad,

4 thoughts on “Mission to Cambodia Day 7

1. Thanks, Tyler for your blog. I appreciate your willingness to be with all the women!

2. Sounds like it was an amazing and eye opening trip. I have done a lot of traveling in my life time but never have had the opportunity to visit Cambodia. I look forward to your next blog.

3. Tyler,
    Its good to hear from you. You reminded me of the bartering one has to do everytime, before one goes somewhere on a tuk-tuk , cyclo, or motto, one must negotiate the fare. If not, one could end up with a very angry cyclo driver. They have all the time in the world to rant and rave about how you are ripping them off and why you should pay them 5 or 6 dollars when a normal fare can be negotiated for less than a dollar.

I’m wondering if I know the two brothers from the church you have been hanging with. You haven’t said that they took you to play “football” but I’m guessing you play before your trip is through. If you play with any englishmen, watch your back, they can be a bit “dodgey.”

I also want to hear about your time at the school and all about leading songs in the church services. I hope you find it very rewarding. I know that they will enjoy hearing you sing.

Last but not least, if you must ride on another moto, please keep it to yourself.
    We are praying for you , the other students, and instructors. Thanks for the post.

Om Chaz

4. Hey Tyler,
    Being the only guy on the trip must be a bit difficult, but enjoy it! I was one of two guys with the Belmont group last year from the School of Nursing, but it’s an awesome trip and I’m sure the ladies with your group are great like ours were.

The haggling and bargaining can get a bit old, I must admit but like Chaz said it’s necessary so you don’t get taken advantage of and the other tuk tuk, cyclo, and moto drivers don’t get mad too. Best thing you can do is find one that you trust and give them your business when you can. Plus you make a friend in the process. I remember Cody became good friends with a tuk tuk driver named Bong, and by the end of the trip we all were friends with him too. I can imagine Mrs. Taplin gave you a hard time about the moto ride…hopefully if you saw some of the patients in the hospital you noticed the trend in the cause of their injuries. Good experience, but just a precaution.

Hope you all are having a great time in Cambodia as I know I did last year. We’re praying for your group.

Good Bless,
    Michael

Comments are closed.