Mission to Cambodia Day 12

Mission to Cambodia 2012
from Emily Graehler

We have been learning about the horrific history of Cambodia for several months now.  However, for me, today was when reality truly sunk in.  It was not until I walked into the buildings at Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum.  My emotions were rocked as faces of hundreds if not thousands of people stared back at me.  These were the images of every single victim who was killed in the prison at Tuol Sleng.  To give you some history, Tuol Sleng was a former security office called S-21 in ‘Democratic Kampuchea,’ which was created on orders of Pol Pot in April 17, 1975.  It was designed for detention, interrogation, inhuman torture, and killing after confessions of the ‘prisoners’ were received and documented.  Many of the prisoners were innocent Cambodians who were tortured until they confessed their crime.  The vast majority of them had not committed any crime at all, so in order to stop the torturous acts against them, they would confess to things they never actually did.  I was speechless as I walked through each room of the four main buildings, which were wrapped in barbed wire.  They kept most rooms the way they had been left when they discovered this prison during the liberation of Cambodia.  What I felt when I walked through that museum is a feeling I cannot describe, but one I will never forget.  I will never fully understand why the Khmer Rouge committed such horrible acts of violence.

4 thoughts on “Mission to Cambodia Day 12

1. Thank you, Emily. This makes me want to understand more about what has happened in Cambodia’s past.

2. Once again I am so thankful for the courage God has given you and those walking with you daily, to leave the comforts of home to be the hands and feet of our sweet Christ. Thank you Em for writing that we, though not there, can imagine what your experience was like. The horrors these precious innocent people have experienced us unimaginable to me – but knowing all those who suffered and died in this prison are in the comforting and loving arms of God for eternity is a picture that brings peace. Sending love and prayers to you and all who are with you!!!
    mom

3. The treatment of the Cambodian people reminds me so much of what the Germans did in WW11. Horrific and something that all of you will never forget.

4. So, you may ask where America was when all this was cruelty was going on. We were right next door, fighting the Vietnamese. What Americans knew or were being told was probably limited. Knowing what we know now, can we stay out of foreign countries during civil strive or intercede? Look at what cruelty we are hearing coming out of Syria today? Perplexing isn’t it.