Mission to Cambodia Day 10

Mission to Cambodia 2012
Erin Pettefer

Wow! What an amazing day today has been. We started our day off with an early breakfast and a tuk tuk ride to Emergency Hospital in Battambang. After receiving a tour and learning about several patients on rounds, we split into three groups. One group went to the operating room, one group went to ward A (men), and one group went to ward C (women and children). To our surprise everyone received the opportunity to work in each area, and we all got to sit in on two surgeries! We learned that the majority of the trauma seen in this hospital results from moto accidents and land minds. It was shocking to me personally to see that so many innocent individuals are still experiencing trauma from the Khmer Rouge.

After our day at the hospital, we decided to go on an adventure and ride on the bamboo trains! It was a chance for us to ride through the jungle, but also see the life in the villages outside the big cities of Cambodia. It was a chance for some of us to see true poverty that exists all over this country and around the world. The children in the villages were so excited to have us passing through and they really opened my eyes up to see how beautiful all of God’s children really are.

Speaking for the group, I believe that we all thoroughly enjoyed working at Emergency Hospital today. Some of us saw our first surgeries today, some of us really connected with the patients, and some of us had amazing conversations with the nurses. But I think what is most important, is that as a group we shared the love of Christ through our smiles, our touch, and our presence.

I personally have been struggling with the thought process of how poor the individuals of Cambodia are in material possessions, but how overflowing and abundant their love for Christ is. This love that they have for Christ amazes me and is really teaching me that I don’t need material things to be rich in HIM. My prayer for this group as we begin to head into our final week is to truely be present in God’s kingdom. I pray that we allow him to work through our smiles, our hands, and our presence. As well as remind us that he loves us no matter where we are on our faith journey.

I hope to be filled with as much joy and love as each Cambodian I have had the privilege to meet. Majority of the group, is beginning to get homesick, so please say a prayer for our group for Christ to open our eyes and remind us why we are here. But parents know that we miss you, and are excited to see you in a little over a week. We all love and miss you guys!   Love you Mom and Dad.

4 thoughts on “Mission to Cambodia Day 10

1. Great to see that you all had a terrific experience at the emergency hospital today. I bet riding on the trains were fun as well. The video of the children singing their love for Jesus was beautiful.

Matthew says see if he hugs or says hi to you when u get back since you didn’t tell him that you missed or loved him in your blog! :). He has missed you too.

You all are in my thoughts and prayers. May God continue to watch over you and bless you all while you are gone.

Love you Erin! Mom

2. Erin – I have been thinking of the group and praying for you. Today I will pray especially that all of you have the stamina to last this final week – physically, emotionally and spiritually.

3. Life is lived on the edge for many over there, that is those who choose to ride motos around without a helmet, or those that choose to ride on top of the rice bails in the back of trucks.
    It is incomprehensible how there could still be land mines placed in the ground from the 70s, that are still taking victims from the Khmer Rouge. Sad as that is, it is even sadder that the government there, could have taken action to remove them long ago. But alas, until some high ranking official is involved in a maming,
    exploding mine, then the government won’t be compelled to take any action.

Thanks for sharing from the hospital there.

Susan sent several train videos to me. It appears the bamboo train was quite a hit with her. I liked your ‘spot on’ newscast of the “train wreck.” Glad no one was hurt.

We have been praying for your mission over there and thank you for sharing your self with those lovely children of God in Cambodia.

Om Chaz

4. Our prayers are with the whole group. We miss our little girl. Be strong in the Lord, stay safe. Learn all you can and have fun.
    Nice blog Erin. Deep Cassie out of trouble.
    See you soon. Love you Cassie.