DPT graduate receives New Horizon Award from Tennessee Physical Therapy Association

SaraSuddarthByrdSarah Suddarth Byrd, a 2010 graduate from the School of Physical Therapy doctoral program was the recipient of the 2013 New Horizon Award by the Tennessee Physical Therapy Association (TPTA). The award goes to a TPTA member with less than 5 years of experience who has made outstanding contributions to the field of physical therapy.

Sarah is employed as a physical therapist by Pulaski Ardmore Physical Therapy in Pulaski and Ardmore, Tennessee. She has many hours of advanced training, where she has focused on Orthopedic problems common in the outpatient setting. She was recently appointed the Federal Affairs Liaison for Tennessee by TPTA.

PT Professor honored as Educator of the Year

Danny Smith (left), Awards Chair of TPTA, and Alan Meade (right), Vice President of TPTA, recognize Dr. Michael Voight as TPTA Educator of the Year.

Dr. Michael Voight, Professor of Physical Therapy, recently was named Educator of the Year by the Tennessee Physical Therapy Association (TPTA).

Dr. Voight was nominated for this honor by a former student, Dr. Ashley Campbell.  “In his life, Dr. Voight has educated thousands of students and clinicians, and I am lucky to be among that group,” said Campbell.  She added, “as a student, Dr. Voight guided, encouraged and challenged me to be the best.  He taught me by example what it means to be great, and to never be satisfied with good.  He never ceases to amaze me in his passion and dedication to the profession of physical therapy, especially the education of both future and current clinicians.” Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia: Visiting Angkor Wat

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Samantha Stanhope

We had the privilege of seeing one of the wonders of the world and the largest religious monument in the world, Angkor Wat. Along with Angkor Wat there are a number of temples that were also built in the area. They were built in the 12th century by the Khmer King Suryavarman II.

The morning started at 4:45 am with a tuk tuk ride to Angkor Wat for sunrise. It was a beautiful sunrise over the reflecting pool with the 5 towers in the background. After sunrise we were able to walk through the temple taking in all the detailed wall carvings and complex architecture. Continue reading