Mission to Cambodia: Building a new home

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Bridget Deering

For our first full day in Cambodia, my group went to help build a home for a family in need with the social work team from the hospital. Even though we were very tired from the previous day of traveling, it was a very rewarding experience. The new house was going up behind the family’s current house so we were able to see their current living conditions. I think it was a little shocking for all of us to see the room that a 10-person family had been living. The walls of the house were made tarp fragments. It made me feel almost guilty for some of the things I want and complain about at home when some people have homes made of tarps. Continue reading

Mission to Cambodia: Home visits to HIV/AIDS patients

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Brittany Ward

The School of Nursing is again sponsoring a student mission trip to Cambodia this May and students and faculty are posting about their experiences.  Keep watch here over the next two weeks for new posts!

Today our group was assigned to go work on the service project we are doing here in Cambodia. The Sihanouk Hospital has a team that specifically goes on Home Visits. All the families that this team helps are people who suffer from HIV/AIDS. Today we had a leader with us named T who had been at the hospital since 1998 working with this home care team. He stated that he currently has 400 people who he and his team serve.  They try to make it out and see each family once or twice a week in order to make sure they are doing okay and they are receiving medications.

Continue reading