Mission to Cambodia: Visiting Angkor Wat

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Samantha Stanhope

We had the privilege of seeing one of the wonders of the world and the largest religious monument in the world, Angkor Wat. Along with Angkor Wat there are a number of temples that were also built in the area. They were built in the 12th century by the Khmer King Suryavarman II.

The morning started at 4:45 am with a tuk tuk ride to Angkor Wat for sunrise. It was a beautiful sunrise over the reflecting pool with the 5 towers in the background. After sunrise we were able to walk through the temple taking in all the detailed wall carvings and complex architecture. A few of us fell behind the group and were last to pile into the tuk tuks to venture to the next temple. Our tuk tuk driver (Lucky Blue, as he told us to call him) pulled off to the side of the road and asked if we wanted to ride elephants to the next temple, Bayon. What an opportunity! The elephant Emily and I rode was named Teeplae. Everyone in our group was able to ride an elephant and I think we can collectively say it was such a fun experience!

After the temple Bayon, we went to Baphuon, Preah Khan, and Ta Prohm. Ta Prohm was my favorite temple because of the different trees growing over the temple and the unique carvings on the stone columns (including one of a stegosaurus). After a full morning in the hot sun we grabbed some lunch and were even seated in an air conditioned room in the restaurant.

In the afternoon we split up into groups, some went shopping at the market, some went to the Cambodian Cultural Village, and some just stayed at the hotel and took a much needed nap. I happened to go to the Cultural Village and learn a little more about the history and architecture of Cambodia. We saw miniature replications of the buildings in Phnom Penh like the Royal Palace, Independence monument, and the national museum. There was also a place for us to try archery. It was a first for many and lots of fun for Mrs. Morse and me to teach the others how to hold the bow and arrow.

For dinner we went to the Koulen Restaurant for a buffet dinner and a traditional Khmer dancing show. Then a trip back to the night market.

Needless to say it was a very long and hot day for us, but the entire day was such a blessing. I believe that in order to better help the people in Cambodia it was a much needed day to take in some of the sights and learn more about their culture. I am so thankful for this group, they all have such big hearts for the people and for each other.