Mission to Cambodia: Building a new home

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Bridget Deering

For our first full day in Cambodia, my group went to help build a home for a family in need with the social work team from the hospital. Even though we were very tired from the previous day of traveling, it was a very rewarding experience. The new house was going up behind the family’s current house so we were able to see their current living conditions. I think it was a little shocking for all of us to see the room that a 10-person family had been living. The walls of the house were made tarp fragments. It made me feel almost guilty for some of the things I want and complain about at home when some people have homes made of tarps.

There were a few Cambodian men who were already working when we got there so we jumped in and started working shortly after getting there. The girls took turns painting and moving sand onto the flood of the house.  The boys helped dig the hole for the outhouse. The heat was pretty overwhelming for all of us on this first day. We took many breaks and drank lots and lots of water. Probably my favorite part of the day was meeting the family who was going to live in the house. The children stayed home from school that day because they were so excited about us coming to help. These were some of the sweetest children that I have ever seen especially the youngest daughter. She smiled and laughed at everything. The kids let us take lots and lots of pictures of them and very much enjoyed looking at their own pictures. The Mother was also so sweet and so grateful that we were there.

This day was extremely rewarding and it was only the first one! The Cambodians are truly such a loving people. I’m so excited to see what the rest of the trip brings.