Belmont University

June 06, 2009

BACK IN THE US

It was a shock when I realized that I was in charge of the last blog. Do I make it funny? Witty? Informative? I choose to just reflect and let my words form this message. Well, I have had time to reflect on my experience in Japan. It was totally AWESOME!!! I know most of my companions are in shock, right?!?! True I did get homesick but it was definitely a new experience for me. I will remember the green tea epidemic, lol. It was everywhere. I will cherish my most physical challenge of all time climbing mountains and running from deer! I also really enjoyed watching 2 of the most amazing teachers sing Karaoke! Most of all, I will miss the time spent with my new friends and just simply enjoying the beautiful scenic views that Japan has to offer.

Top Quotes of the Trip
- The Top is where you make it
- I get sea sick in the bathtub!
- My butt is swallowing the seat!
- What is this?!?!
- The Bidet attacked me.

Alter Egos
Vicki
Brooklyn
Sasha
Jazelle
Stanley
JonTay
James..
JT..love it!

5 things I won't miss
Waitng for the light to change
Avoiding cars!
Climbing stairs for no reason
No separate checks!!!
Waiting for water!!

Back in the states it is an obvious difference between the cultures and the peaceful nature of the Japanese people,(except in Osaka) allowed us to get lost in the present and not to worry about our past and futures. This peace of mind will definitely be missed.

Contrary to some paranoid minds, (Brooklyn and Sasha)
We all made it through the elimination round.
I am so proud to be apart of the most magnificent Japan group of 2009!!! It was an honor.

Sayonara Japan, and Sayonara to our readers!

June 02, 2009

Last Day In Japan...

TaylorIt's hard to believe that today is our last day here in Japan! I think that I can speak for the group in saying that we have all had a great time. Not only did we get to see and experience Japan, we also developed friendships that might not have formed in the States. Today, during our last class, we went around the room sharing what we have gotten out of our experiences here in Japan. There were three major themes that seemed to float around the room.

1. We have learned a lot from observing the people and culture of Japan. Our goal wasn't to immerse ourselves and become a part of the culture, but there are several students on this trip that would now like to maybe do that one day. We got the chance to explore the political, social, and economic history of Japan and coupled with our own personal experiences it helped us better understand some of the differences we see in the culture here...as well as some of the similarities. It's great to gain a new perspective. To realize that half the world away people are living just as we do, but in a different context, with a different history, and within a society with different norms and values. Though there are these differences, the best part to see is that we really are all the same. It's been great to go outside of our own world in order to explore a new one.

2. Most of us are comfortable Americans and for once we have experienced what it is like to maybe be a little bit uncomfortable. It's a good lesson to learn. We had to survive on food that is very different than ours (even the McDonald's is different); we had to learn how to find our way around in a country that can't understand what we are saying!; and, to sum up, we learned what it is like to be a foreigner. It's not easy to leave what is comfortable, but I would say that it's necessary at some point in life.

3. It's amazing what can happen in 21 days. We traveled across the world and gained a new perspective on life when really all we needed to do was engage students on our campus that are different than we are. Each person on this trip is so unique and under "normal" circumstances we might never have taken the opportunity to develop friendships. We left for Japan and were basically strangers, but 20 days later we (the entire group) shamelessly sang at the top of our lungs together in a Japanese karaoke box. This only drives home the point that though each personal is different, at our core, we're really the same.

So now we have spent the last day going our separate ways in an attempt to get those last minute souvenirs for friends and family, to catch that one last thing that we didn't get to see before, or to go and get just one more scoop of cherry blossom or green tea ice-cream. Then we are forced to face the grueling task of packing up all our stuff for the long journey back to the States. For me personally, it will be an accomplishment if I can get my suitcase closed!

Belmont in Japan is headed home...

A Few Tips and Things I've Learned

JamesIt’s obvious that there are many cultural differences between the way things are done in the States and how they are done here in Japan. I want to point out several societal and cultural differences that have surprised me, confused me or straight up annoyed me over the past few weeks and some tips to anyone planning to visit Japan.

Obviously the food here is very different and so is the eating experience. At many restaurants you need to remove your shoes when dining. Water is served in TINY glasses and unfortunately food is also served in small portions. The majority of items on the menu are seafood. The most irritating and frustrating thing about Japan is paying for a meal. They never do separate checks and things can get REAL confusing when 12 people are eating. Or at least that’s what we thought until I discovered the three magic words, “Betsu betsu de,” that split a check… two days before we leave… Could have saved us a LOT of frustration. Oh…and don’t leave a tip, that is considered insulting.

Speaking of paying for things, that process is very different too. Back at home almost all of us use our credit cards for everything. Japan is a cash based society. Few places accept credit. Not only is it cash based, but mostly coin based! The smallest bill is equivalent to $10. None of us are used to carrying a pocket full of change to pay for a meal.

Some one-liners of do’s and don’ts

Don’t: Eat and walk; talk on your phone on a train; be loud; send back a meal if you don’t like it.

Do: Watch your back for bicycles flying past you; carry a lot of change; bow slightly after purchasing something; take your shoes off and leave them in front of the dressing room when trying on clothing.

Speaking of paying for things, that process is very different too. Back at home almost all of us use our credit cards for everything. Japan is a cash based society. Few places accept credit. Not only is it cash based, but mostly coin based! The smallest bill is equivalent to $10. None of us are used to carrying a pocket full of change to pay for a meal.

Some one-liners of do’s and don’ts

Don’t: Eat and walk; talk on your phone on a train; be loud; send back a meal if you don’t like it.

Do: Watch your back for bicycles flying past you; carry a lot of change; bow slightly after purchasing something; take your shoes off and leave them in front of the dressing room when trying on clothing.

June 01, 2009

Looking towards home: wrapping up our stay in Japan

Class:
Today was basically the last real day of class; tomorrow we only have evaluations and other end-of-the-trip formalities. Just about everyone is making plans to stay up all night the day before we have to catch the plane. Also, tonight, we were being treated to dinner by Belmont, followed by karaoke. In class, I gave my cultural presentation on Fushimi Inari, and James gave his on the history of karaoke—quite fitting considering the evening’s plans. Then Annalise discussed the inequalities in Japan that women face when entering the workforce. Hunter and Dr. Velikova went over the current status of the global economy; after which, Dr. Bisson wrapped up the class.

The Afternoon:
After class, people split up to either do some shopping or just take it easy. Dr. Bisson and Dr. Velikova had a picnic. Brenda, Aaron, and I went shopping in Uji, which Aaron did not get to see the first time we visited. Then we rushed back to the hotel to nap before we had to meet everyone for dinner at 6. Ryan, Annalise, and James headed for Kiyomizadera but ended up just exploring the Kyoto shops. James came back with a full Japanese ensemble!

Evening’s events:
Our dinner was held in a German pub in Otsu, which we frequented throughout our stay. As this is our second to last day in Japan, people were thinking of family, the plane ride home, and other the last things to do in Japan. At the dinner, people were thinking of American food: the portions and the taste. The food at the pub for the most part was fine, but most everyone agreed that there was not enough to go around. Ironically, it’s the end of the trip when we finally learn how to ask for separate checks.

Gabrielle.After dinner, we experienced a Japanese karaoke box! Dr. Bisson and Dr. Velikova stayed only half an hour, but the rest of us spent a little over 3 hours there. Of course, pretty much everyone in the group has a strong singing voice. I was unfortunate enough to experience the side effects of not having vocal training (i.e. a sore throat and nearly losing my voice). Also, a key concept to remember (which I belatedly realized): fun is maximized when songs are chosen that most of the group like. Hehehe, luckily, I knew a lot of the songs that were placed so that I could sing (more like scream) my head off. All iln all, we definitely made some memories there:)