Belmont University

Looking towards home: wrapping up our stay in Japan

Class:
Today was basically the last real day of class; tomorrow we only have evaluations and other end-of-the-trip formalities. Just about everyone is making plans to stay up all night the day before we have to catch the plane. Also, tonight, we were being treated to dinner by Belmont, followed by karaoke. In class, I gave my cultural presentation on Fushimi Inari, and James gave his on the history of karaoke—quite fitting considering the evening’s plans. Then Annalise discussed the inequalities in Japan that women face when entering the workforce. Hunter and Dr. Velikova went over the current status of the global economy; after which, Dr. Bisson wrapped up the class.

The Afternoon:
After class, people split up to either do some shopping or just take it easy. Dr. Bisson and Dr. Velikova had a picnic. Brenda, Aaron, and I went shopping in Uji, which Aaron did not get to see the first time we visited. Then we rushed back to the hotel to nap before we had to meet everyone for dinner at 6. Ryan, Annalise, and James headed for Kiyomizadera but ended up just exploring the Kyoto shops. James came back with a full Japanese ensemble!

Evening’s events:
Our dinner was held in a German pub in Otsu, which we frequented throughout our stay. As this is our second to last day in Japan, people were thinking of family, the plane ride home, and other the last things to do in Japan. At the dinner, people were thinking of American food: the portions and the taste. The food at the pub for the most part was fine, but most everyone agreed that there was not enough to go around. Ironically, it’s the end of the trip when we finally learn how to ask for separate checks.

Gabrielle.After dinner, we experienced a Japanese karaoke box! Dr. Bisson and Dr. Velikova stayed only half an hour, but the rest of us spent a little over 3 hours there. Of course, pretty much everyone in the group has a strong singing voice. I was unfortunate enough to experience the side effects of not having vocal training (i.e. a sore throat and nearly losing my voice). Also, a key concept to remember (which I belatedly realized): fun is maximized when songs are chosen that most of the group like. Hehehe, luckily, I knew a lot of the songs that were placed so that I could sing (more like scream) my head off. All iln all, we definitely made some memories there:)

|