Belmont University

A Few Tips and Things I've Learned

JamesIt’s obvious that there are many cultural differences between the way things are done in the States and how they are done here in Japan. I want to point out several societal and cultural differences that have surprised me, confused me or straight up annoyed me over the past few weeks and some tips to anyone planning to visit Japan.

Obviously the food here is very different and so is the eating experience. At many restaurants you need to remove your shoes when dining. Water is served in TINY glasses and unfortunately food is also served in small portions. The majority of items on the menu are seafood. The most irritating and frustrating thing about Japan is paying for a meal. They never do separate checks and things can get REAL confusing when 12 people are eating. Or at least that’s what we thought until I discovered the three magic words, “Betsu betsu de,” that split a check… two days before we leave… Could have saved us a LOT of frustration. Oh…and don’t leave a tip, that is considered insulting.

Speaking of paying for things, that process is very different too. Back at home almost all of us use our credit cards for everything. Japan is a cash based society. Few places accept credit. Not only is it cash based, but mostly coin based! The smallest bill is equivalent to $10. None of us are used to carrying a pocket full of change to pay for a meal.

Some one-liners of do’s and don’ts

Don’t: Eat and walk; talk on your phone on a train; be loud; send back a meal if you don’t like it.

Do: Watch your back for bicycles flying past you; carry a lot of change; bow slightly after purchasing something; take your shoes off and leave them in front of the dressing room when trying on clothing.

Speaking of paying for things, that process is very different too. Back at home almost all of us use our credit cards for everything. Japan is a cash based society. Few places accept credit. Not only is it cash based, but mostly coin based! The smallest bill is equivalent to $10. None of us are used to carrying a pocket full of change to pay for a meal.

Some one-liners of do’s and don’ts

Don’t: Eat and walk; talk on your phone on a train; be loud; send back a meal if you don’t like it.

Do: Watch your back for bicycles flying past you; carry a lot of change; bow slightly after purchasing something; take your shoes off and leave them in front of the dressing room when trying on clothing.

|