Belmont University

Last Day In Japan...

TaylorIt's hard to believe that today is our last day here in Japan! I think that I can speak for the group in saying that we have all had a great time. Not only did we get to see and experience Japan, we also developed friendships that might not have formed in the States. Today, during our last class, we went around the room sharing what we have gotten out of our experiences here in Japan. There were three major themes that seemed to float around the room.

1. We have learned a lot from observing the people and culture of Japan. Our goal wasn't to immerse ourselves and become a part of the culture, but there are several students on this trip that would now like to maybe do that one day. We got the chance to explore the political, social, and economic history of Japan and coupled with our own personal experiences it helped us better understand some of the differences we see in the culture here...as well as some of the similarities. It's great to gain a new perspective. To realize that half the world away people are living just as we do, but in a different context, with a different history, and within a society with different norms and values. Though there are these differences, the best part to see is that we really are all the same. It's been great to go outside of our own world in order to explore a new one.

2. Most of us are comfortable Americans and for once we have experienced what it is like to maybe be a little bit uncomfortable. It's a good lesson to learn. We had to survive on food that is very different than ours (even the McDonald's is different); we had to learn how to find our way around in a country that can't understand what we are saying!; and, to sum up, we learned what it is like to be a foreigner. It's not easy to leave what is comfortable, but I would say that it's necessary at some point in life.

3. It's amazing what can happen in 21 days. We traveled across the world and gained a new perspective on life when really all we needed to do was engage students on our campus that are different than we are. Each person on this trip is so unique and under "normal" circumstances we might never have taken the opportunity to develop friendships. We left for Japan and were basically strangers, but 20 days later we (the entire group) shamelessly sang at the top of our lungs together in a Japanese karaoke box. This only drives home the point that though each personal is different, at our core, we're really the same.

So now we have spent the last day going our separate ways in an attempt to get those last minute souvenirs for friends and family, to catch that one last thing that we didn't get to see before, or to go and get just one more scoop of cherry blossom or green tea ice-cream. Then we are forced to face the grueling task of packing up all our stuff for the long journey back to the States. For me personally, it will be an accomplishment if I can get my suitcase closed!

Belmont in Japan is headed home...

|