Mission to Cambodia: Toul Sleng Genocide Museum

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Emily Jones

My first full day in Phnom Penh consisted of many excited and heart wrenching moments. The sun wasn’t even up when some of us gathered together for a morning run through the city. The liveliness of the Cambodians early in the morning was such an intriguing site to see. After passing the Independence Monument we made our way down a road that ran by the river. During our run we enjoyed the vivacious music that various groups of Cambodians were dancing too. Most of the dancing was similar to what we would think of as zumba in the United States, while some groups we ran past participated in dancing that was more peaceful – like pilates or yoga. Let’s just say not only was it a cool way to exercise, but the Cambodians had quite the dancing skills! On the way back we finished up our run with a leisure walk in front of the Palace. The building’s structure compiled of so many intricate details and it was vibrant in color.

Our group went on a tour of the city and ran errands for the group to start our day.  When viewing different areas on foot around Phnom Penh we saw a lot of Buddhist temples, Watts (where the Buddhist monks live), tuk-tuks (covered buggies pulled by motorcycles or mopeds of the sorts), monkeys, the Palace, the grocery store (for ALOT of water), street food vendors, and inevitably we were able to gather a general sense of what the people and culture is like here. We then ate at a restaurant called Flavours, whose name was definitely appropriate as we all experienced many new flavors when eating our meal! I had a delectable common dish here in Cambodia known as beef loc lac with coffee and sweet milk to drink. To say it was tasty is an understatement.

After our insightful and educational tour of some key areas on foot and filling our stomachs with some cultural cuisine, we then made our way to Tuol Sleng on tuk-tuks. Toul Sleng Genocide Museum, the former security office 21 in “Democratic Kampuchea” was created on orders of Pol Pot. Office 21 was called S-21 and designed for detention, interrogation, inhuman torture, and killing after confession from the detainees were received and documented. Now the evidence of the criminal regime is on display for Cambodians to pay respects and to allow a better understanding for international visitors such as myself. While I was walking through Toul Sleng, it brought tears to my eyes to see the environment in which these people suffered. It was heart breaking to see the cells were many of the prisoners were detained. I particularly found in appalling that many of the prisoners were never informed as to what they did wrong and why they were even there. While reading through some of the personal statements made by individuals who were under the order of Pol Pot, there were many that addressed the feelings of fear.

“During the Democratic Kampuchea regime, I lived in constant fear of being taken away at any time. Everyone felt the same. Every few days, a truckload of people was taken away without clear reasons…fear of making mistakes, fear of being arrested, fear of being killed. Once imprisoned the chance of survival was slim.” – Nuon Hong, 44 years old (2002)

After viewing the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and reflecting on this opportunity to see injustice, I found myself thankful that I believe in a God that allows me to have no fear. A verse that readily comes to mind is “So do not fear for I am with you. Do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” Isaiah 41:10. Having this experience has furthered my appreciation for the privilege to be a child of God and experience his love and mercy.

After we returned we then made one last trip out to a store called Tabitha before having dinner later that night. This was one of the highlights of my day. At this establishment the women are hired and taught to sew various items to provide them with a job. Even more interesting is that the proceeds of the items I bought will support Nokor Tep Women’s Hospital. These women, who were sewing away right there at the store, were precious and hard workers. Once we arrived back at our hotel we were quite tired from jet lag, so it wasn’t long before we grabbed a quick bite to eat and hit the hay. I thoroughly enjoyed my first day in Cambodia and can’t wait to see what the next couple of weeks has in store!!