Unimaginable and Unbelievable

2011 Mission Trip to Cambodia
from Cody Chlasta, Nursing Student
VendorsMay 23
Today we ended our trip to Siem Reap and began our 7 hour bus ride back into Phnom Penh. As you may have read the temples we were able to see during our time in the province were unimaginable. I could not explain to myself how an ancient people were able to construct such magnificent structures. I do not think I have the words to describe what I saw. As for the trip back that was a little more forgettable, I thought a 14 hour plane ride complete with my own personal entertainment system was bad but try sitting in the back of a bus over the most uneven roads you have ever been on.

Continue reading

On to Siem Reap

from Daniel Stirling, Pharmacy Class of 2013
Bat TukAn early morning rise took us on a bus ride to Siem Reap. We are accompanied by Niron and Wataana, fellow members of Phnom Penh Church of Christ, who served as our de facto tour guides on the trip.
Moving out of the bustle that is Phnom Penh allows me to take a breath and appreciate the full beauty of the Cambodian countryside. The palm trees sway gently in the flatland with glistening lakes and rivers dispersed between. This embodies the peacefulness of an earlier Cambodia, juxtaposed to the beautiful chaos of the capital city. We then stop for a quick snack of fried spiders, crickets, and other interesting culinary delights.

Continue reading

No Hesitation

from Suzanne Hutson, Nursing Student
wom_sm.jpgToday was one of my favorite days! I spent my morning in the surgical floor in the HOPE clinic. I have not felt as much love from people I do not even know ever before. I was baffled by the instant connection I felt after meeting the nurses, patients, and family members for the very first time.
Chak Riya was an instant friend. She is a young nurse who has very good English. She took me under her wing right away and taught me! I was starting IVs, drawing blood for labs, prepping patients for surgery and taking vitals with her. We talked a lot and bonded in the first few hours I was there.
I also met Rom Channy and Hun Chanse. Chanse says hi to the 2010 team-(he asked for Chelsea and Kim’s e-mail addresses. He has your pop account addresses). His smile was remarkable, I will never forget it!

Continue reading

Dr. Michael Voight Receives APTA’s Most Prestigious Recognition

mike_voight.jpgDr. Michael Voight, Professor of Physical Therapy at Belmont University, has been selected as a 2011 Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), the most prestigious recognition granted by the organization. Voight will be officially bestowed the honor at a ceremony in National Harbor, Maryland on June 9 as part of the association’s annual conference.
Fewer than 150 of the association’s 77,000 members serve as Worthingham fellows. The fellowship recognizes those who have made lasting and significant advances in the science, education and practice of the profession of physical therapy, sustained over a period of at least 15 years. It honors practitioners who have attained the highest level of professional excellence and impact in terms of advancing the profession.
“Dr. Voight’s election as a Catherine Worthingham Fellow speaks volumes about the recognized contributions that he has made as an expert clinician, and nationally and internationally recognized educator, said Dr. John Halle, Associate Dean of the School of Physical Therapy. He added, “Belmont University is fortunate to have faculty with the talent and energy demonstrated by Dr. Voight. This is a high honor and it is well deserved.”
Voight has had a distinguished career as both an educator and clinical physical therapist for over 25 years. Throughout his career he has become one of the leading authorities in the rehabilitation of orthopedic and sports injuries and he has worked to advance the knowledge of others as a clinician and educator.

Continue reading

HIV Home Visit

from Rachel Painter, Nursing Student
Today was my day to go on a HIV home visit. We took a tuk tuk to the hospital and to our surprise the traffic was not all that bad. When we got to the hospital we met up with the social worker and walked over to his office. Everyone introduced themselves as we stood waiting for our driver. While standing there he asked us to donate some money to buy some fish sauce to take with us to give to the families we were visiting. When they visit these families they are bringing porage mix to them to eat.
The families we were visiting live at the dump site for the city. They all are living in small shacks and do not have much room at all. The first family we went to visit was a mother and her children. Her daughter was 7 months pregnant and was there while we were visiting. They both explained to us how they were doing and living. They were literally staying in a small room that had a tin roof and plastic on one side for a wall. She was very delighted to get the things that we brought her.

Continue reading