PT Alum featured in People Magazine for work in Haiti

Jennifer Watters Mission Small.jpg Jennifer Watters, an ’06 Belmont DPT alum, was featured in an article in the April 12, 2010 People Magazine. Jennifer is currently volunteering with Handicap-International, US for three months. She began her work in early March.
You can read her journal posts by clicking the “.Jen Watters Haiti Blog” link to the left.
Here’s the link for the story from People and the content of that article is below:

MAKING AMPUTEES FEEL WHOLE AGAIN
– JENNIFER WATTERS, 28
Jennifer Watters places a wrap around the stump that had been 21-year-old Lundia Jacques’ lower right leg. “Keep it tighter at the bottom,” Watters counsels Lundia, whose dreams of becoming a flight attendant were shattered when, while she was ironing, “my house fell on me.”
Few images capture a country’s agony better than the dozens of men, women and children with missing limbs who line up every day at the makeshift clinic Watters runs for the nonprofit Handicap International. And few people represent the outpouring of kindness that has flowed into Haiti better than Watters, a gregarious volunteer physical therapist who saw images of the quake on the news and thought, “God put this in front of me.” Never having been to a disaster zone, she quit her hospital job in Alexandria, Va., and arrived on March 3 in Port-au-Prince for a three-month stint.
These days she rises at 7 a.m., splitting her time between the clinic and tent cities, treating patients and training local staff. Every Sunday she attends mass outside the ruins of a once-glorious cathedral. “I cry a lot there,” she says. “That [Haitians] can be surrounded by destruction and yet sing and have a sense of peace. . . . It gets to you.”