Belmont University

Catch Up Time!

Betty WisemanTime flies in Cape Town! Can it be that we just finished our last day of ministry following worship at two services this morning? We’ve had very little down time at night. Being a little older than these young people I have tried to use my night time to rest, especially with the sinus infection I picked up earlier this week. It is better now. I’m just praying for relief before getting on the plane to come home.

I bet you’ve heard from the team about Red Hill and our afternoon in the poorest of the poor area on top of a mountain. With wind blowing, dust flying, and smoke filled atmosphere from fires built to stay warm we played make-shift games of “net ball” and “street soccer.” Trees kept the sun from hitting us and the longer we stayed the colder it became. But, what we discovered on that mountain among those dear people was a happiness and contentment with life that put us to shame. It was amazing! They welcomed us with open arms, happy faces, and joy! Laughter permeated the place. There were children everywhere, young people eager to play games, and adults of all ages gathered to watch. The spirit of community overwhelmed us! And when we gathered them around to share God’s love through testimonies and the gospel there were all ages. God was there! They listened and they responded. Not one of our team will forget that afternoon in the village of Red Hill. It was a divine appointment for us on that mountain. A part of each of us is still up there!

jenny holding sleeping girl 2.jpg betty and woman.jpg

We have been from one school to another, day after day, playing and sharing. Basketball and volleyball players became pretty good soccer players. Our team has simply exceeded all expectations. I wish I could come up with new words to describe them. They bonded quickly, became one in mind and spirit and purpose, with a deep sense of calling to this ministry. Each of them stood, over and over, and proclaimed the good news of Jesus Christ. It was a matter of who asked first to share! They were ready and willing to stand before their audience and their peers at a moment’s notice to share God’s love. The team concept has been a beautiful thing to behold. It began as they dared to love one another, encourage and affirm one another, and hold one another accountable. It is always a unique experience for me to watch the “team” concept develop. This was extra special. I wish parents and family, coaches, Belmont administrators, faculty, staff and Trustees, donors, prayer partners, and friends could witness what I have witnessed these days in South Africa. I can tell you this – they will come home different, having encountered Christ in a new and very real way. You will see it and in time they will be able to share. It will take time for them to process everything.

We had a two hour “processing time” after returning to the team house tonight. This is always a very meaningful and last memory of each trip. I do my best to bring them to some closure through processing what this all means through debriefing and heart searching. I love hearing them tell one another their thoughts and what they have experienced and learned. It becomes a “safe place” for them to be unafraid in their sharing and expressing heartfelt love and gratitude for one another and for God. Whatever they say is received with love and gentle care. Confessions, tears, compassion, and personal revelations from the soul overflow. It is a God-thing and only those in the room will know what takes place. It becomes a place of healing, fellowship, joy, affirmation, encouragement, praise, and worship. I just wish all of you could experience it. It is something they will never forget, nor will they ever pass that way again. It will be a lasting memory for each team member.

team together.jpg team together 2.jpg

We spent time today with John and Avril Thomas, pastor of Fish Hook Baptist Church and Kings of Kings Baptist Center, and founder of Living Hope Center and all the ministries that are a part of their work. He shared with us how it all began and his heart for the work. If I tried to go into all he shared you would spend days reading this. I welcome the opportunity for us to come share with any group when we are back in Nashville about the needs that are here. My heart has been broken for the needs of this place.

We sightsee tomorrow and spend the “rand” (money) that we exchanged when we arrived. We have had no time to shop for souvenirs and sightsee. Tomorrow we’ll get that done, leave early (6:00 a.m.) Tuesday for a night in Johannesburg, and a flight out on Wednesday evening. See you in Nashville on Thursday.

To God Be All The Glory!!!

BW

|

Comments

Words cannot express the gratitude we have for BW and Tony. Thank you for being the mentors that you are. Having the two of you as the spiritual parents of "our kids" is a very special gift. These special students have a unique bond, a lifelong bond with the two of you. God will continue to do amazing things as their journey continues. Thank you so much for loving our children the way you do.

Greg & Lorrie Gray

I cannot tell you the joy I have experience from afar. Just waiting with great expectation for the next testimony or the stories of day's events has been my daily wait. Enjoy the time that God has given you. Love in Christ.

Roy & Jan

Wow!! I had chills and tears when reading Your post. God is great and I can feel the realness in your note. Thank you for this opportunity for this team. Thank you for your leadership, and your loving, motivating and giving spirit! Go Team Belmont. You guys are awesome!

I remember these 'processing times' well... they are at the top of the memories' highlight reel and will be accessed like a mental instant replay in the future for all involved.

I hope you use your final days to take care of whatever mending of ailments and enjoy the satisfaction of another successful season of 'planting seeds'.

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's post this week. It is great to be able to follow God's work in South Africa. I know that you guys were able to share the love of Christ with many this week and that all of your hearts have been forever changed! I will continue to pray for you all as you travel home. I miss and love you guys!

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)