First Day of Action

2009 Group ShotMonday March 9, 2009 – Our first full day…and it definitely was full! We were put into smaller groups, and were very busy! One group went to the Universidad Mariano Gavelz, which is the university for the physical therapy students. They were given a tour of the school led by its director, and were able to listen to a presentation led one of the students at the university. The school also has a clinic, and hopefully a group will be able to see patients sometime during the trip.
The other members of the team were at the Children’s Hospital. They were all given a tour of the facility led by the director of the rehabilitation area of the hospital. The Belmont OT and PT students observed treatment by the hospital staff and OT and PT students. The clinicians assisted with some treatments; one of the PTs on our team gave a presentation on NDT, a specific treatment technique. This year we have our first speech therapist on the team; she also observed the therapists and assisted with treating the children and parent education.
This year we had the awesome opportunity to volunteer at The Lord’s Kitchen, a soup kitchen that serves approximately 400 people in a two hour period each day. Some served food, others washed dishes, wiped tables, and cleaned the facility after dinner.
Even though our days will be packed, we know it will be worthwhile at the end of the week. Adios!
Update: Click image to view larger size.

6 thoughts on “First Day of Action

1. You are off to a great start and I will pray for your health and strength.
    Tell Joy that I am trying to track down a friend in Guatemala City who can help with the camera/download problems.

2. Great to hear you are there safely. I am so proud of all of you for “giving up” your spring break. I know that you will receive more than you have given up. The Lord is always so good to us in that way. My prayers are will you always. Linda

3. It sounds like you all are busy but I’m glad you’re doing well and having a wonderful time! I will be praying for you all all week!!!

4. That sounds like an amazing first day! I hope the rest of the week is as exciting! Have a great time everyone, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

5. May God Bless you this week and all the many opportunities you will have throughout the trip. My prayers are with you and with all who are involved with the trip this year. Enjoy every minute of it! It is an amazing experience to share with your team members and the people of Guatemala!!

6. Nice to get updates,see photos & hear all is going well. I hope both sides will benefit from the experiences!! :o)

Comments are closed.