Mission to Cambodia: Home Away from Home

Abby Vanwestrienen, Nursing Team

This morning we headed to church at Phnom Penh Church of Christ. A 9:00 am Tuk Tuk ride (our favorite mode of transportation), was just what I needed to start the day off content. Walking into Church, I was overjoyed to see so many faces, and felt connected to each one since we all shared the same purpose of being there to learn and gloryifying God.

As we sat down, we were handed headphones that would allow us to listen to a translator during the service. Something I noticed during worship was the people, mostly Cambodian, in front of us, all putting their arms around one another and swaying while they sang. This simple act of kindness touched me heart, and showed the love and joy that the people here have for one another and the Lord. Another awesome part of the service was how the band would sing half of a song in Khmer, and the rest in English. This observation allowed me to conclude that while our languages may be different, no matter where you are from, the message is the same.

The overall message in Church today focused on how we can remain in one another, and unite as a family of God. I learned from the speakers that to remain in Christ, we need to learn from Christ’s example, and be willing to take out our bad attitudes. As people of God, we must stay united in the love that we all share for him.

The Holy Spirit will lead and guide us if we open our hearts, and we must stick together and not stray from him. The service was closed with the song “Praises Heard Around the World,” which I thought was very fitting and reminded me once again that while we may be on the opposite side of the world, we all love and serve the same God.

After Church concluded, we headed the the Java Café in Phnom Penh for lunch. It was nice to have a little taste of home, and the food was delicious.  I have fallen in love with Passion fruit since being in Cambodia, and the Passion Fruit soda I got for lunch was one of the best I’ve had yet.

A few of us then headed to the Russian Market in our free time after lunch. I’ve been fascinated with this market since I saw an episode of The Amazing Race several years ago when the contestants visited it. Picture a dimly lit, very humid, sweaty, crowded environment, with thousands of items stacked ceiling high all around you, and random smells changing at every winding corner. That’s what the Russian Market is like.

Hannah, Laura and I then decided to indulge in a little bit of home, Starbucks.  I never thought the familiar smell and taste of an iced Mocha would be just what I needed.

Once we were re-fueled for the rest of the day, we gathered to meet with everyone before heading to dinner.

Dinner today was across from the river at The Blue Pumpkin, a restaurant we previously went to in Siem Reap. After a tasty meal and good conversation, we headed back to our home away from home at the Golden Gate Hotel! I can’t believe that we are starting our last week in Cambodia, and am looking forward to helping and learning from the people in Phnom Penh.

Goodnight!