Mission to Cambodia: A country that has changed me

ErinPettepherSmallMission to Cambodia 2014
from Erin Pettepher, Nursing student

Cambodia. A small country in Southeast Asia. A country that has changed me.

The first time I came to Cambodia, I knew that I was being offered a life-altering trip. I was traveling alone for the first time, well, really I guess just without my parents. I was investing in a new culture. I was seeing devastating poverty with my own two eyes. I was learning what true joy looks like. And greatest of all, I was trying to share the same love with others that Jesus has for me.

Click on photos to enlarge

Click on photos to enlarge

Little did I know that two years later I would be attending a wedding as a bridesmaid for one of my very best friends. A friendship that blossomed over a friendly smile and a broken conversation due to poor translation.

My best friend’s name is Chhay, and today I had the honor to stand beside him and his beautiful wife, Dany, to celebrate God’s faithfulness as they joined their lives together. Today was filled with great happiness and celebration.

Camb2014a2For me, I received a wake up call at 2:30 am, to begin the process of a 19 hour day to celebrate the love of these two special individuals in my life. In Cambodia, it is a tradition for a wedding to be an all day event and they can sometimes last up to three days. Thankfully, Chhay and Dany opted for the one day event.

Camb2014a3Although it was only one day, I personally had 5 different wardrobe changes with different hair and make up and Dany and Chhay had around 9. It was amazing to see how different cultures can be. Of course though, despite the culture differences hours of dancing took place. It was amazing to see our group come together in a different environment and truly enjoy the cultural differences. Some students got their hair and nails done for the special event, and some even got dresses made. We all could feel the love in the air for this amazing couple.

Chhay, along with the Cambodian people have taught me that even with a language barrier, a simple smile, a tender touch, or even a joyful laugh is an act of love. And love changes people. Love changed me. Love starts the process of life-lasting friendships. No matter how far away we may be, far away is never to far for friends.