Mission to Cambodia: A test of endurance

Mission to Cambodia 2013
from Julie Bonds

10 days ago, running 26.2 miles seemed impossible as I tried to tell my feet to keep going step after step after step; but some how, some way I made it through the intense 26.2 miles and the finish line brought so much overwhelming joy and hope for things to come.

Today was one of those days where I needed to grasp onto the joy and hope of crossing the finish line to get through the morning of intense heat, physical labor, and immeasurable gratitude.

The day started with an alarm clock set for 5:15 am, which never went off considering the anticipation of setting foot in Cambodia for the first time woke me up at 5 ready to meet the running group at 5:30 am. The run was nothing like anything I have ever done before. Doding the Tuk-Tuks (mopeds that attach “big kid” burleys to the back of them), mopeds, cars, vans, busses, garbage trucks was almost surreal to me. This was definitely not CA where pedestrians have the ride away at any time of the day, it was more of a if you don’t get hit crossing the largest round-a-bout in the world then you will survive. For the first time, I can say that I am so happy my Dad was not here the amount of times he would go around this round-a-bout would be crazy!

The funniest thing about this run was that the grass areas in the middle of the roads contained TONS of groups doing the Cambodian version of Zumba. It was the coolest thing, everyone out and exercising by 5:30, what a cool way to start your day everyday!

Then, we had breakfast at the hotel and we got scrambled eggs with some toast and watermelon to start our day. Mrs. Dryden told us to make sure that we had closed toed shoes on because we would be working on a house. Little did I know it would be some of the hardest physical work I have ever done. We were not just “working” on the house we were actually building it from the ground up taking bags of sand to the middle of the new house to start getting ready for the cement floor and then we painted all of the pillars with a glossy paint. Normally, I could do this at all times, but the climate is almost unbearable at 93 degrees and 84% humidity. Not only did this become a test of endurance; instead, it was a test of emotional strength watching this amazing family help build their new home despite the illnesses that have taken over their health. Watching the mom who is dying of aids and the dad who is healing from aids work their hearts out only gave me inspiration. But, while on the verge of dehydration and exhaustion it felt as if you could not shovel another basket of sand, paint another pillar with a smell that makes you want to faint, or carry the sand to the floor one more time. But, after many breaks and lots of electrolyte filled water I somehow managed to walk back over to the sand pile covered with flies, red ants, and mosquitoes to build this floor basket by basket because I could not stop thinking that, “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” (James 1:27). So instead of focusing on my own limitations, I am going to focus on the ones that desperately need our love and service to help them feel happiness and love.