College of Pharmacy’s Mission to Guatemala

Several weeks ago, a College of Pharmacy team traveled to Guatemala in partnership with The Shalom Foundation to provide chronic disease screening and general medical care to the residents of the Las Conchas community outside of Guatemala City. Members of the team were second-year pharmacy students Jennifer Corder, Mandy Newman, Marian Roufael, fourth-year pharmacy student Chris McKnight, and pharmacy faculty member, Dr. Rachel Franks (joined on the trip by her husband, Pastor, Dee Franks).

The trip was a powerful experience. As Mandy Newman stated, “Words cannot describe the trip! …Guatemala City and Las Conchas was an amazing experience…  The people of Las Conchas are so happy and thankful for what little they have. They taught me more about life than I could ever teach them about health. My life is forever changed because of them, and I hope to return next year.”

According to Allison Bender, Executive Director of The Shalom Foundation, “Belmont University continues to help us achieve our mission of improving the life of Guatemala’s children. We are blessed to partner with Belmont’s health programs (Pharmacy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy); these students and faculty bring such gifts and energy to our work.”

L-R Front: Marian Roufael, Jennifer Corder, Ernesto (Translator); L-R Back: Dee & Rachel Franks, Mandy Newman, Victor (Driver)