Final Day in Guatemala

Guatemala 2011 Mission Trip
From Jamie Adam
Jamie Adam.jpgToday began with another wonderful breakfast (eggs, hotdogs, pancakes and toast). We headed to Antigua for a day of adventure. After an easy 1 hour drive, we arrived about 9:30AM. Our first stop was a coffee plantation in Antigua. We walked around the plantation grounds and several of us enjoyed coffee, cappuccinos, and a favorite, the mochachino. Most of the staff understood and spoke English, an indication to us that English speaking visitors are common in this area. The look of the city was quite different from what we have seen the last several days. It was a little tourist village tucked into the mountains with cobblestone streets, beautiful landscapes and quaint little shops. We noticed several tourists and what we thought might be study abroad students in the streets and markets.

At 11:00 we signed our legal release forms for the Zip Line Canopy Tour with some trepidation (especially with words in the contract like…”you understand that this is a dangerous activity that may result in personal harm or death”). Amazingly, everyone in our team decided to go (though several were a bit anxious!) The guides assured us that they had not had any casualties yet that morning. After a 20 minute drive up the mountain in an army style jeep, we were dropped at the highest point of the zip line. We geared up and proceeded one by one to make our way through 7 zip lines of increasing height and length. The highest zip line was about 100 feet high and 700 feet long, though the views of the mountains in the background made it feel like we were 10 times higher. The rush was incredible and the views of the mountains and volcanoes were amazing.

After the tour, we ate a great lunch on the rooftop of a restaurant on the coffee plantation. While we ate we were able to watch the coffee workers spread and turn the roasted beans while they dried on the terracotta tile below. After lunch we had an opportunity to make a stop at the market. We were tested in our ability to negotiate a bargain. Small children, families, young and old entrepreneurs approached us to buy their “goods.” We were able to buy souvenirs at fractions of what we would pay at home. Before leaving Antigua, we stopped by a Barista Coffee restaurant and bought coffee. I was struck by the realization that I paid more for my 1 cup of coffee than I did for most of my souvenirs. The disparity between the poor and those benefiting directly from coffee sales is great. I began recalling several moments where I “haggled” to get someone to come down 10 Queztals (just a little more than a U.S. dollar). I was humbled as I realized that what made a marginal difference to me, was stark for them.

The first night we were in Guatemala we went around the group and discussed what one word articulated how we were each feeling at that moment. A word spoken by a teammate keeps coming to mind, “anticipation.” It truly embodies our experience here. We began each day in anticipation of how God was going to use us or work through us and we have seen His hand throughout the week. In many cases a seed was planted for future projects and visits to places such as in Tecpan, a community in desperate need of resources. In other cases, to support and affirm the work other teams are doing in communities such as Palencia. In Guatemala City, we had the opportunity to serve patients and provide education to those caring for the sick and disabled after we leave.
What an awesome privilege to serve on this trip. We give thanks to God for this opportunity and pray that He would continue his work here unto completion. Thank you for your love, prayers and support. We are so grateful.

Jamie Adam on behalf of the CHS Guatemala Team