Feels Like Home

2010 Pine Ridge Trip
CassidyHS.jpg What a wonderful experience it’s been. The second I arrived, all I wanted to do was be outside. It feels like home in more than one sense.
5-17-10 Tipi Masterpiece.jpg It’s now Tuesday, May 18 and it’s a beautiful day in Oglala. Yesterday was a memorable experience. The group built a Lakota teepee together and had time to reflect out in the hills. The teepee is a symbol of the link between heaven and earth (the triangles and inverted triangles meeting where they cross). What is in heaven is on earth, and vice versa. Once the teepee was finished, Stanley Good Voice, with his young counterparts, presented us with unique Native American music from various ceremonies that are held within the culture. We even got to do the Circle Dance! But we’ve met so many people here and they’re all a piece of “wonderful”.
Yesterday, Leonard Little Finger, one of the elders, honored me with making me his niece; he is my “lekshi” – my uncle. This was very special to me because he said he felt like I was family and I felt the same. It’s difficult to explain, but you just know . It’s a feeling you have inside you. I truly love these people here and feel like I’m where I’m supposed to be. Having my sister here to share it with is also an experience that I wouldn’t trade – family is so important out here and I’m so fortunate & lucky to have mine physically here with me.
Until next time…

One thought on “Feels Like Home

1. Sounds like you guys are having an amazing experience! Can’t wait for more updates!