Finding a Rhythm

Dr. Ruby Dunlap’s Uganda Fulbright Blog
Had it been a philosophical chicken, it certainly would have appreciated Thomas Hobbes and his cynical view of things. From the moment it emerged from its shell, wet and tottering, until it was finally dispatched by someone to be eaten by me and mine, it had lived to eat brutishly and avoid being eaten nastily.

It had been marginally successful in its first ambition and finally unsuccessful in its last. Now, to add insult to injury, I was critically gazing at its scrawny, blue-tinged carcass and wondering why I had paid 12,000 Ugandan shillings for it, roughly about 6 USD.
Chicken, I had been told, is more expensive than beef in Uganda. My experience has validated that. A plump fryer-sized chicken in a Kampala grocery store costs about 16,000 shillings or 8 USD. A pound-sized package of minced (ground) lean beef costs about 1.50 USD. The chicken in my kitchen had been purchased, sight unseen, from someone Karen had said raised really extra good chickens. This must have been one of their bad-chicken days.

Continue reading

Gail Bursch review of new book by Jill Bolte Taylor

_wsb_183x276_Paperback.jpg
Book Review of My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD
published in The Art of Teaching
reviewed by Gail Bursch, Belmont University School of Physical Therapy
In the midst of beginning another hectic school year, take a deep breath and a moment to imagine the consequences of suddenly having a stroke or traumatic brain injury. Consider the misfortune of a successful neuroscientist, who taught Harvard medical students and conducted research at the Brain Bank, having a massive stroke at the age of 37. After surviving a massive bleed in the left hemisphere of her brain, Dr. Jill Taylor wondered if she would be able to speak again, to walk again and would they take her PhD away?
The ways in which Jill connected with the outside world for help during the four hours her brain was hemorrhaging is an amazing story. Because the left hemisphere contains the speech and language centers, she could not speak intelligibly nor recognize phone numbers. Each normal function shut down one by one as the bleed progressed. The curious neuroscientist in her monitored the details; overcoming the fear and desire to succumb to a peaceful death. Jill described the loss of her ‘brain chatter’, which refers to the left brain monitoring time and details, categorizing everything so that we can make sense of the world. With the left brain injured, her right brain became dominant resulting in silent euphoria and feeling at one with the universe.

Continue reading