bulogo66000.jpg

May 12, 2008

Checked-in and Ready to Fly

Sports evangelism Team 2008 - Rio de Janeiro
Just prior to lunch today, the 2008 Sports Evangelism team from Belmont University worked their way through the Delta ticket line and gathered for this picture (click image to view larger size).

The team will depart Atlanta soon (after a 4 hour layover) to make the long flight to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Hopefully, we will hear of their arrival sometime tomorrow morning (depending upon access to the internet).

May 11, 2008

Brittney's Personal Thoughts

Brittney.jpg

It's the day before we leave for Brazil and I'm so excited! I try and imagine what this trip is going to be like, but it
is impossible. I know this is going to be an amazing experience, and I hope to further develop my faith through
this. I am a little nervous, too. This is my first trip with Bdub and I pray the Lord will place the right words in my
mouth so I can impact the most people. I can't wait to see what these next few days will have in store, i'm counting
down the hours until we leave!!

Brittney

May 10, 2008

Brittany's Personal Thoughts

Brittany.jpg

I am so excited for this trip to Brazil. It is my second trip with Bdub, and I am looking forward to working with this group. I love seeing the smiles on the little children's faces when we arrive at each location, and I can't wait to see that in Brazil. I am so pumped about the lives we will be able to change and I know God has this trip all planned out and is just waiting for us to put it into action. Thanks for all the prayers and I cant wait til monday!

Brittany

Rachel's Personal Thoughts

Rachel.jpg

First of all I'm felling excited and nervous at the same time. I know after I start hanging out with the kids and everybody I'm going to make a connection and that is the exciting part because a piece of me will be left in Brazil. The nervous part I think comes from wanting to say the right things about God to each person I meet. I'm probably going to only see them for a day so I want to make sure I say everything that God wants me to, so I don't have any regrets when I leave. I think the trip overall will probably open my eyes to everything more than most of the people I meet. I'm very honored to be one of the people who get to go on this mission trip to Brazil.

Rachel

May 09, 2008

Betty's Personal Thoughts

Betty.jpg

It is Friday and graduation week-end at Belmont. There is so much excitement in the air! I am excited for these graduates, but I am most excited that when I leave the office today I will “close up shop” and be “on go” for RIO on Monday. I like reading the thoughts that team members are sharing in this journal as they prepare to go.

This team is going to be special! God has orchestrated the “calling out” of each one for his plan and purpose. We have a good mix of veterans who have been with me before, and some who are doing this for the first time. They are “glowing” as they drop by for last minute conversation. The next time I see them will be at the airport on Monday morning.

I have been reading the book of Acts again as I do prior to each mission trip. I love to read of Paul’s conversion on the road to Damascus, his call by God to share the gospel, and his boldness in proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ. It inspires and encourages me over and over. It is always a reminder of how God can take a life and direct it for his purposes. I want to be like Paul – bold and unashamed of the gospel, ready and willing to endure whatever for the cause of Christ. I desire this same boldness and readiness for our team. I pray our hearts will be open to God’s leadership, his divine appointments, and that when the people of RIO see us they can get a glimpse of a God who is real and personal. I pray we will always be ready at a moment’s notice “to give the reason for the hope that is in us.” And, I pray that many will come into a relationship with God through his son, Jesus Christ, during our days in Rio.

I pray for health and strength, safe travel and good flight connections, energy and enthusiasm, boldness and courage, sensitivity and compassion, humble hearts, and freedom to share Christ, both in words and deeds. I keep singing the words to one of my favorite songs, Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord.

I am personalizing and claiming Romans 15: 5-6 for our team:

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give us a spirit of unity among ourselves as we follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth we may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Brooke's Personal Thoughts

Brooke.jpg

I just want to start by saying how incredibly blessed I feel to be traveling with a Belmont group on one last Mission Trip! Each trip has been so meaningful and unique in its own special way. Upon arriving home after our trips to Ukraine and Venezuela I completely humbled- and nothing compares to the experience of a mission trip. I will admit that I have not exactly felt as though this trip to Brazil was so close. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend most team meetings and felt out of the loop. The spring semester has been so unbelievably busy for me with an internship, classes, basketball, and preparing for graduation. However, classes are finished and graduation is quickly approaching and will soon be over. I cannot wait for Monday to be here; better yet I cannot wait until we arrive in Rio! As we prepare to leave in just a few short days, I am feeling somewhat anxious because I do not know exactly what to expect. At the same time I am excited about experiencing a new culture and also sharing the love of God with people in Rio!

When the group met last week for the final time, several people mentioned how they not only witnessed changes in people’s lives in Venezuela or Ukraine during previous trips, but also experienced changes and growth in their own lives. It is easy to return home and slip right back into the ways of life and forget about the experience in an underprivileged country; however, as I embark on my final trip as a Belmont athlete I have been praying for God to take complete control of my heart while we are gone and give me the strength to carry these changes over into my everyday life when we return home.

Thank each of you for your thoughts and prayers for the Rio Team over the last few months and we appreciate prayer for traveling mercies as we prepare to leave on Monday. God Bless!

Brooke

May 07, 2008

Laura's Personal Thoughts

Laura.jpg

After the Venezuela trip in 2006, I couldn't grasp all the wonderful things that I had experienced. It was life changing for me and for the people we came in contact with in Venezuela. So when BW asked me to go to Brazil right before Christmas, I was very honored to once again continue this spiritual journey that God has in store for not only me, but all of us. As I graduate from Belmont 2 days before we depart for Brazil, I couldn't think of a better way to wrap up my 18 years of playing basketball. In fact, I know that God gave us the talent to play basketball for experiences just as this. I'm very confident that our team this year will make a huge impact. God continues to amaze me every day and I know he's going to walk with us every step of the way in Brazil.

Laura

May 06, 2008

Andrew's Personal Thoughts

Andrew.jpg

I am definitely excited about the mission trip to Brazil. Since this is my first mission trip, I am a little unsure of what to expect. I am excited to see a different culture, but the main emotion I feel right now is nervousness. I’m sure once we get there, then I’ll be alright. Hopefully, we will make an impact during our time in Rio, and hopefully, Rio will make an impact on us.

Andy's Personal Thoughts

Andy.jpg

I am very excited. I am excited about the people that I am going with and all the fun we are going to have. It is so much fun to play with kids and to let them know how important they are and that God loves them. It is going to be a lot of work though and I am just praying that our attitudes and health stay in top shape throughout the trip. I am excited yet nervous about my role, seeing that I can't play basketball due to my finger injury. This trip will be unique in the fact that I won't be able to participate in some activities. Brittany and I said that we would just coach! All in all I can't wait to get there and shower people with love!

Keaton's Personal Thoughts

keaton.jpg

I am very excited about the trip we are about to take to Rio on Monday. This will be my second mission trip in three years. Heading into the first one to Venezuela I really didn't know what to expect. I just knew that we would be helping people come closer to our Savior, and we definitely achieved that! I am really looking forward to seeing the Brazilian culture and how they are different than we are. I think that is one of the best things about leaving the country, and that is comparing their lifestyle to ours. I respect the way different countries do things.

I have been praying a lot about this trip. I beleive it is a perfect time in my life to do missionary work. I want to get out and not only help people, but I want my relationship with Jesus Christ to grow even stronger. I stopped by BW's office the other day and we were talking about the trip. One of the things that I told her that I was excited about was when the trip ends my relationship with the Lord will have enhanced. I am really looking forward to that!!

Again, I am excited about this trip. I just wanted to post how I was feeling a week prior to the trip. It is going to be very exhausting, but God will undoubtly help us get through it! It's going to be an incredible journey!
Keaton

May 04, 2008

Meet The Team

rio-team.jpg

Meet the 2008 Rio Team:

Starting from the top: Our Leader Betty W. and Tony H., Row 2: Brittney E., Stefan B., Whitney S., and Will Y.
Row 3: Brooke S., Andrew H., Rachel S., and Andy W. Row 4: Laura C., Keaton B., Brittany M., and Matthew D.

Please pray for this Rio Team:

"24 He who calls you is faithful and He will do it. 25 Brethern, pray for us." 1 Thessalonians 5:24-25

April 28, 2008

About this year's mission

sharonjohnathenbetty.jpgRIO JOURNAL 2008
Sports Evangelism Mission Trip

Welcome to the 2008 Rio Journal that will chronicle the May 12-23 Sports Evangelism Mission Trip (basketball players) to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We are going at the request of career missionaries, Sharon and Ray Fairchild, who will be retiring from the International Mission Board after 28 years of service in Rio. I have had the privilege of taking five teams of student-athletes to Rio since l999, working with the Fairchilds and the many translators, pastors, and volunteers in their ministry. They requested that we serve with them one last time before they return to the states for their final furlough in February 2009.

Basketball season is over, passports are in, visas are being processed, dozens of basketballs are ready for transport, prayer partners are committed to each team member, and meetings are now focused on preparation of our hearts. The student-athletes are busy with final exams as they bring closure to this semester and the academic year.

Our last meeting, prior to final exams and our departure on the 12th, will be at my house for dinner and orientation on April 30th. A special treat for the evening will be the presence of Sharon and Ray who are in the states for a brief period.

A heartfelt “thank you” to all who have contributed financially to make this trip happen! Getting the funds for a journey like this is a monumental task, but God is always faithful in seeing that people respond to the call to be a part of this ministry through giving.

Thank you to team member Tony Howell, Assistant Volleyball Coach, who is responsible for this journal and keeping it up-to-date. I hope you enjoy walking the journey with us.

Betty Wiseman, Trip Coordinator