Belmont University Home

Will

will-possing-with-group.jpg

Our time in Brazil is almost over. It would be impossible to describe how amazing this trip has been. We have all made so many great memories. Perhaps my favorite memory will be how many people we have reached out to and brought to our Savior, Jesus Christ. The kids in Brazil are the most beautiful kids in the world. I have thoroughly enjoyed bringing the message of Christ to all of them.

Another thing I’ve enjoyed is getting to know our translators. I’ve had great conversations with each of them. The one I’ve become closest to is OJ. I’ve been able to sit next to him on the bus these last three days, and I’ve gotten to know him very well. OJ told me about his early life. At the age of 14 he became involved in the drugs here in Brazil. He was heavily involved in this until 19, when he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior. He is now 33, or 30, or 34…it just depends on the day. OJ also told me about losing his father not too long ago. He was on the computer at 2 AM and his dad came in and told him it was late. He said, “Nah, it’s ok.” He went to bed and was woken up by his mother around 4 AM saying something had happened to his dad. He had suffered a heart attack. He tried massaging around his chest, but it was too late. His father was taken away from him too early. It amazed me as I sat and listened to his story. The strength he has as he tells his story is awesome.

The last 2 days we have gone into 6 schools. We are all worn out, but somehow we are able to find more energy each time we go out and play. Sharing the gift God gave us, basketball, we are able to connect with these kids. More important however, is the gift we have in Christ. We are now on our way to our final school. I have mixed emotions right now. I’m tired, I miss my family, I miss my friends, and I miss home. However, I’ll miss these kids, I’ll miss our translators, I’ll miss Ray and Sharon, and I’ll miss Brazil. What I’ll miss most is this team. We have all drawn so close to one another. As a kid I dreamed of being a Bruin, and for these 10 days I have had the opportunity to put on the Navy and Red and play the game of basketball. I couldn’t think of any 11 teammates I’d rather share this time with. Hearing their stories, sharing laughs, hugs, and even tears together are things that will never happen again. BW and Tony are the best leaders we could ask for. I want to thank everyone at home that made this trip possible. This trip is something none of us will ever forget. I love you all and miss you terribly, but we’ll be home in a couple of days. Please continue to pray for us as we share the Good News.

|

Comments

I am so proud of you and thankful to each of you for the good work you are continuing to do. I am sitting in my office, and your words have brought me to tears. I have prayed for you daily, and I have a lot of friends here in the office praying for you as well. I love you, too, and although I miss you terribly and can't wait to see you, I know you have very mixed feelings about leaving the wonderful people you have influenced, and the bonding you have with your team. Words cannot express my thankfulness for your incredible leaders, and their influence and encouragement in your life. God bless all of you.
Love, Mom

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)