Belmont University Home

Thursday-Processing

What an awesome God we serve! Every day I am in awe of how God works; His power, His ways, His timing, His divine appointments, and the leading of the Holy Spirit. My heart is overflowing and there is no way I can even begin to share what I feel and what God is doing here.

What He has done already in and through this team is amazing! They have all “stepped up” and met the challenges and opportunities put before them over and beyond any of my expectations. It is truly a team put together by divine leadership.

Words just won’t get it done. I have said so often, “I wish people back home could see this team at work and watch God working through them.” Only seeing is believe; so I’ll just try to share through BW’s eyes.

wed-night-pic.jpg

Thursday night…Following our long evening of exhibition, clinics, demonstrations and play with a local club team about thirty young men from ages 20 – 25 sat before us and listened to Matthew and Laura tell about their relationship with Jesus Christ and the impact that their Savior has in their lives. It was a perfect lead-in to one of the most powerful times of sharing the gospel I have ever experienced on the mission field. Their obvious connection to God’s word moved me with great passion as I heard some pray to receive Christ. Here were big Brazilian basketball players hanging onto every word being spoken. And, God’s word did not come up void.

Following our session they continued to stay around. I talked with Nilton, a tall and beautiful Brazilian young man, and asked him, “Do you have this relationship with Jesus that we have talked about?” He kind of shook his hand like “I don’t know” and said, “I go to church.”

betty-sharing.jpg

I proceeded to tell him that the bible says nothing about the church forgiving our sins and giving us eternal life. Only Jesus can do that. It wasn’t long until I said, “Nilton, I want to give you another opportunity to pray to receive Christ. Would you like that?” With a tear in his eye he responded, “Yes, please.” We prayed together and Nilton ask Jesus into his heart. With a smile as big as the ocean he said, “Thank you. I know what I just did.” I got a hug from Nilton that was worth it all.

I looked around and there were 7-8 guys just standing there, like they were waiting for something. I just could not leave them. You see, I just knew they were waiting for Jesus. I proceeded to ask them if they had understood what we had said and if they had prayed the prayer. “I go to church,” one responded. Another said, “I go sometimes.” Another said, “I just don’t know.” My heart was breaking. I was moved with compassion and love for these big old athletes who needed a Savior. I said, “Hey guys, listen to me. This is not about religion or a church, but it is about a relationship.” I continued to talk and finally I said, “We are going to leave you in a few minutes. I do not want to leave you without Christ. Won’t you reconsider? You may never have another opportunity. You aren’t doing this for me. You must choose for yourselves.”

prayer-bett.jpg

They began shaking their heads and drawing a little closer into the circle. With tears in my eyes and a smile on my face and a deep connection to them in my heart I listened as all of those guys prayed aloud to accept Christ as their Lord and Savior. What a divine appointment and an encounter with the amazing saving grace of Jesus Christ!

Processing time…We had our first “processing time” when we returned to the hotel. We ordered sandwiches on the roof of the hotel and sat around the open-air patio with the sound of the waves in the background. Can I share all this? No, it’s personal. I will tell you that our “processing times” on these sports evangelism mission trips is one of my greatest joys as a Christian leader of young people. They share from their hearts in a “safe place” with teammates who are in tune with one another’s heartbeat. They encourage one another, listen, process, trust, learn and grow. God, only, knows and hears our thoughts. I count it a privilege to know their hearts and be trusted with their thoughts and feelings. What a blessing!

|