Belmont University Home

Thoughts About Friday

Friday a.m…..at a private school…very difficult to get in to…school director is a “spiritist”…two sessions…kids were 12-18 years old…they came into the open air gymnasium and I thought to myself, “We will never get them under control.”

keaton-and-brit-2.jpgWell, the team did it. They connected through their play and demonstrations and interaction and smiles and high fives and earned the respect and their audience. When the time came for Keaton and Brittany M. to share Christ you could have heard a pin drop. We had been told to keep it low key, whatever that means. But, how can you keep the gospel low key. I shared the gospel in the fullest in a very personal and gentle way, careful to plant seeds that would fall on good soil and that the Holy Spirit could water. I honestly could not remember all I said following those two sessions, but I was confident we had done our very best with the two opportunities we’d had. Those kids were hungry for God, for the word, for hope and peace. They were like magnets and sponges, soaking and clinging to every word. I stood there amazed.

keaton-sharing-to-maintenan.jpgFollowing the two sessions the physical education teacher said, “I have taught here for 30 years and I have never experienced anything like this. I have never seen these our kids so tuned in and so attentive. It can only be a God-thing, a miracle. You all have done something here that has never been done before.” It was obvious she was a believer.

I responded, “It wasn’t us. God did this.”

girl-and-teacher.jpgFriday afternoon and evening…a session at another local club with a women’s team….more of the same…play, exhibitions, demonstrations, etc….then sharing. Brittany E. and Will began the session with testimonies prior to the gospel presentation. Another “hush” came over the dimly lit gymnasium and they responded to the call to receive Christ. We were filled to overflowing as we left for yet another place, a sports club, where lots of kids of all ages and parents and families waited for us. They got more play from us, more love and hugs, more smiles and encouragement, and opportunities for play and interaction.

andrew-teaching.jpgAgain, I thought, how can we get all these people quiet to hear the gospel. But, once again, the team had earned their audience as another “hush” came over this place. Brooke began the sharing time and introduced Stefan who, with deep emotion and passion, shared how he had lost his father as a child of four years old. He talked about how difficult it was growing up without a father, but when he found Jesus at the age of 16 he “got a heavenly Father who has never left him or forsaken him and has given him unconditional love.” I was moved to tears and God took over. That testimony was a perfect lead-in for me to share the gospel. Oh my, was the time special. Parents and families stood outside the court and listened, along with the kids of all ages, to God’s word and the invitation to accept the gift of salvation and eternal life. Yes, many responded by trusting Christ.

praying-with-stefan.jpgA long day, oh yes. But, a day filled with God-ordained moments and celebration. We returned to the hotel around 9:00 p.m. overwhelmed with God’s blessings of the day!

Saturday…four hours of fun, relaxation, renewal, and evangelism on the beach with First Baptist Church members of Recrueio where we will worship tomorrow night.

|

Comments

Dear Team,
It is great to keep up each day with the wonderful work each of you are doing for our Savior. We are privileged to be able to share in the excitement, blessings and joy that you experience when someone accepts Jesus. Please remember, though you might not see someone accept Him in your presence, you are planting the seed. Seed that will produce when planted on God's ground and at God's time. Our prayers are with you all. God Bless the Howell's

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)