Belmont University

Only 2 more days...

MariettaIt is truly unbelievable how fast 21 days flew by. I was looking forward to come to Japan entire year and it is almost over. I am a little bit sad, but at the same time happy of what we were able to accomplish on this trip. I am very proud of all my students. I really wanted to see them explore not only Japan but their own boundaries. Most of them got to do a lot of things on this trip for the first time: trying traditional Japanese food including raw fish, tofu, green tea ice-cream and etc, learning public transportation system, finding directions to the places of interest, getting lost in a foreign country, climbing up the mountains, biking for 5 hours.

We have 10 students with different character and personality, different background, different majors and interests, as well as different expectations of this trip. Each student will bring back his or her own unique experience, positive and negative, happy and sad. I am a strong believer that the beauty of life is the spectrum of diverse feelings and emotions. We can't grow and mature without difficulties and challenges. I really hope that this trip challenged all of them. I hope that they are capable through this experience to understand better who they are and what they are, to appreciate and accept differences among cultures and countries, to become more aware of the importance of culture, economy, political system and their integration and interdependence of Japan, and any country they will visit in the future.

Thinking back and reflecting on my own experience, I would say the highlights of this trip for me were Tokyo, a cycling excursion in the Kibigi historic district, scenic island of Miyagima in the Seto Sea, getting and feeling totally lost in Osaka, and public bath experience in Spa World. I was able to find my way there despite the fact that it is located in Osaka. Right now I am feeling emotionally and physically exhausted. Tomorrow is the last class, buying souvenirs in the afternoon for friends and family, packing, and group dinner and karaoke. Tuesday, which is our last day in Japan I am going to say good bye to my favorite spots in Kyoto and contemplate on their beauty for the last time, and last but not least public bath to clear mind, and rest body after walking on average 6 miles a day.

|