« Roosters Rule the Night | Main | Monday Update »

Hondurans Know How To Party

party.jpgWhat a party!

The village of Cane was crawling with people. Yellow, school-bus like, busses dropped off teenagers from surrounding towns. Mounds of speakers blared upbeat Spanish tunes. Two mechanical spinning rides gave children a thrill. Boys walked around selling necklaces that flashed blue and red lights.

Every New Years Day the people of Cane hold a huge festival. It actually reminded me of fairs similar to ones in the United States.

French fries, or “papas fritas”, were a popular food, just like they are at home. While we were walking past the food stands, Pedro, one of our two interpreters, stumped me with a question.

“Why do you call them French fries?”

Hmmmm ... did they originate in France? I didn’t think so.

I couldn’t answer his question, but I did notice the way they made the salty treat was different than I had ever seen. Two teenagers sat in the back of the booth peeling actual potatoes. The potatoes were then stuck through a hand-pressed cutter that made them long and thin before they were thrown into the frying pan.

As I was moseying around the papas fritas stand, an older, creepy looking guy who very well might have been intoxicated approached me. He started speaking to me in Spanish, and I was caught slightly off guard. He reached out his hand, and trying to be polite, I shook it. Before I knew it, he leaned in close and kissed me on the cheek ... a little too close to the mouth. Augh!

I thought it might be custom for people to greet each other with a kiss, so I tried not to freak out too much. I did, however, quickly walk away, but I didn’t want to seem rude if it was supposed to be a natural thing. Pedro asked me later, though, why I had let that man kiss me. I hadn’t realized I let the man kiss me ... I didn’t even know what was going on! I suppose if that’s the most uncomfortable thing that happens to me on this trip then I’m doing pretty well.

Comments

So happy to see you all arrived safely in Honduras and you hit the ground running. We loved the picture of Chansin milking a cow...but we think she needs to stay clear of intoxicated men who want to kiss her cheek!! Your team is in our prayers. I'm excited to hear more about what God is doing with you guys. Love you, Chansin's Mom

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)