« What does a decent home cost? | Main | Video Sneak Preview »

Among my souvenirs

KidSake Foundation - HondurasMusic of the Big Band era surrounded my childhood. One of those old standards, Among My Souvenirs, has been stuck in my head for the last day or so, following the discovery of a handwriiten note from an orphan that I met named Areliah. We did not talk very long...I simply don't command enough Spanish to carry on a long conversation. She was quite curious as to what I was doing and I took a few minutes to let her record several seconds of video. After I played back the tape for her on the camera's small LCD screen she asked if I had a paper and pen. She sat next to me and penned the following note (in Spanish), and then handed my notebook back with a warm hug.

To Paul from Areliah,
Hello, how are you? I hope that when you go away that you will remember much about me. You are the first American friend that I have known in my life. May God bless you and be with you the rest of your life.
(signed)Areliah

girl_note.jpg
It is probably a good thing that I did not know what she wrote at the time, I may have attempted to smuggle my small friend home in my luggage. Of all the things that I brought back from Honduras, Areliah's simple note has to be my favorite. It speaks volumes about the people we met and compels me to remember the importance of the little things we do.

And for those who are not familiar with Among My Souvenirs, the last verse goes like this:
"...And, as the teardrops start,
I find a broken heart
Among my souvenirs"

Now, where's the Kleenex when I need it.

Comments

That was so sweet of her!
nate

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)