A Tip for Your Resume:

can-stock-photo_csp10939984

Everything is a little bit different in the music business. We wear jeans, while everyone else wears dress pants. We go to concerts and call it “work”. Overall, the music business is more fun and “entertaining” than most other industries, yet still professional. So, why can’t our resumes have the same flare?

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t mean make the background zebra stripes and attach your favorite Lady Gaga song. I simply mean add a touch of personality to your resume. After all, this is the only thing the potential employer gets to see before they decide if they want to interview you.

If you have a quirky skill such as “Can make guacamole in under three minutes” or “Unapologetic grammar policeman”, then list it.  Don’t overdo it (and DON’T put your picture on your resume), but be a little more open to adding personality to a professional resume. To some people, that means making your headings royal blue. To others, that could be using your Photoshop expertise to make a unique heading. Whatever it may be, add some personality to your professional resume.

If you want some examples of this, email me and I’ll send them your way. caroline.melby@belmont.edu