3 Questions Answered Series: Part I

Throughout the month of April, CEMB Internship Coordinator, Jamie Stamey, will respond to three questions submitted by students embarking on their internship journey.  If you have any questions you would like to see answered, feel free to email Jamie at jamie.stamey@belmont.edu.

Q1: What is the best way, besides the resume and interview, to stand out when wanting/applying for an internship?

A1: It really helps if you know someone at the company.  Take advantage of networking events on campus, volunteer opportunities posted by different companies, and seminars.  Even if your relationship with the person is very basic, at least you could send an email to say, “Hi John, we met last week when I helped stuff envelopes for the Artist X mailing.  I’m really interested in the promotions internship for the summer and was wondering if you could give me any information.”  John might take it upon himself to help you out a little bit because he spent a few hours working with you and you left a positive impression.  Remember, every interaction counts.  And if you haven’t checked out our Volunteer Directory, you should.

Q2: What is one piece of advice you would give to someone regarding the best way to go about an interview for a job or internship?

A2: It’s all about the preparation.  Research is key.  Research the company.  Research the people.  Talk to people that have interned/worked there previously.    Utilize all the tools at your disposal.  Then study it so you can speak knowledgeably about the organization in the interview.  PRACTICE!  Even the most skilled interviewers should practice.  Schedule a mock interview with the Internship Coordinator or Career Development Specialist.  Utilize InterviewStream to do some video interviews.  If you do not put significant effort into preparing for an interview, don’t have high expectations for the outcome.

Q3: This may be a silly question, but should I do things like take my nose ring out when I go to an interview or meet with possible employers?

A3: That’s not a silly question at all.  I hear this a lot.  Fortunately for you, we work in a very creative industry that typically allows you to express yourself a little more openly.  But, you really need to gauge the culture of the company you are trying to get in with.  At the very least, I would encourage you to “subdue” any non-traditional jewelry.  Replace the hoop with a very understated stud that won’t distract from the words you are saying.  The same thing goes for tattoos.  Don’t go out of your way to hide them, but wear something that doesn’t draw attention to them.  And GUYS: long hair, long beards…we know that’s stylish right now.  You can still pull that off, but spend a little time on grooming.  Make sure your hair is clean and controlled.  Ever heard of a beard trimmer?  Use it to shape your beard and mustache (nothing more disgusting than mustache hair curling into your mouth.)  Eww.