They Say the Neon Lights Are Bright

For those who have not yet heard the news via Belmont’s main website, the Commission on Presidential Debates has chosen Belmont University to host the Town Hall Presidential Debate on October 7, 2008.
Nope, I didn’t stutter, and that is what you think it is. We’re hosting a presidential debate! I suppose the advantage of a blog in this context is to provide the immediate reaction, rather than calm and reasoned reflection. And I have to tell you, this news has sent a tremor through campus. I’m not sure how we compare to previous sites in terms of campus population, etc., but I have to imagine this represents quite a coup for our administration. I know it represents one heck of an opportunity for fostering political debate on campus–among students, not just among candidates. Actually, probably more the former than the latter; when’s the last time a debate actually featured debating?
At any rate, we are all extremely excited, and we can’t wait to find out how we will be allowed to participate! Expect to hear more here!