PT Students Again Help Coordinate Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Komen2-2015Once again this fall, students from Belmont University School of Physical Therapy provided logistical support for the annual Race for the Cure in Nashville, sponsored by the Susan G. Komen organization. Over 100 student volunteers assisted with course setup and takedown and served as course marshals at the start and finish lines and throughout the course to help manage a crowd of over 20,000 participants and spectators.

Dr. Michael Voight, professor of physical therapy at Belmont, serves on the Komen Board of Directors and was co-chair for this year’s race. “Komen Greater Nashville has provided more that $3 million for screening, treatment and educational services to the women of Middle Tennessee,” said Voight, “and our students graciously support this endeavor each year.” It was just over a year ago that Susan G. Komen International recognized Belmont PT students as their volunteer organization of the year. Also serving as co-chair for this year’s race was Dr. Ashley Campbell, an alumnus of Belmont’s School of Physical Therapy who currently serves as an adjunct professor. “I began my involvement with the SGK Race for the Cure six years ago as a 3rd year PT student,” said Campbell, “but had no idea at the time that this would become a passion for me. We could not have had the success that we’ve had without the continued support of our Belmont students.”

As they do each year, students and alumni began preparations for the Race for the Cure weeks before the event.  Third year students Kylie Cook and Grace Cronin began attending all the planning meetings and served as class leaders to train others on what needed to be done.  A large group of students showed up the day before the race and worked on race course set up until dark.  On race day, students showed up at 6:00 a.m. to begin final preparations for the day.

Dr. Pat Sells, associate professor of physical therapy at Belmont, who leads the race volunteer program, paid tribute to this year’s student volunteers: “I become more impressed with the things our students do every year.  No matter what job needs to be done, from cutting bananas, to making sure finishers get water, to picking up trash, these guys do it with such efficiency it stuns those of us involved in organizing and running the event.  The start area was set up and ready for the race almost 2 hours early, something that had not happened before. At one point in the morning I was overseeing the start line and caught our students standing side by side giving high fives and shouting encouragement to the survivors as they began the walk.”

Komen Executive Director Patty Harman added, “The Belmont team of volunteers from the School of PT are fantastic and made a huge difference to this year’s race. We appreciate their help in making the race a success for survivors and their family and friends.”