Social Work Club Impacts the Community

Belmont’s Social Work Club recently volunteered for a day with four kindergarten classes at Una Elementary School. Club members hosted a holiday party for a total of 68 students and made a craft, served a snack, read stories and gave out goodie bags. The bags contained gloves, toothbrush, pencils, notepad, crayons, an orange and a glue stick.

The Club was also active earlier in the semester as they collected more than 350 cans of green beans to donate to Luke 14:12, a non-profit soup kitchen providing free meals to the hungry, homeless and working poor of Nashville. They also volunteered at Thistle Farms to help package a large shipment and spend time with the ladies of Magdalene House.

College of Pharmacy partners with Williamson Medical Center for New Post-Graduate Residency

WMC-then-and-nowBelmont University College of Pharmacy has joined with Williamson Medical Center in Franklin, Tennessee to establish the College’s fourth postgraduate program for pharmacists.  The year-long residency, which will begin next summer (2016), offers varied practice experiences in patient care at the medical center as well as teaching responsibilities at Belmont in the College of Pharmacy.  Williamson Medical Center is a 185-bed community hospital that provides comprehensive and progressive medical, surgical, pediatric, and pharmacy services.  The residency is designed to build skills in patient care, leadership, medication safety, teaching, and research, as well as providing opportunity for continued service to the community. Continue reading

PT Students Again Help Coordinate Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Komen2-2015Once again this fall, students from Belmont University School of Physical Therapy provided logistical support for the annual Race for the Cure in Nashville, sponsored by the Susan G. Komen organization. Over 100 student volunteers assisted with course setup and takedown and served as course marshals at the start and finish lines and throughout the course to help manage a crowd of over 20,000 participants and spectators.

Dr. Michael Voight, professor of physical therapy at Belmont, serves on the Komen Board of Directors and was co-chair for this year’s race. “Komen Greater Nashville has provided more that $3 million for screening, treatment and educational services to the women of Middle Tennessee,” said Voight, “and our students graciously support this endeavor each year.” It was just over a year ago that Susan G. Komen International recognized Belmont PT students as their volunteer organization of the year. Also serving as co-chair for this year’s race was Dr. Ashley Campbell, an alumnus of Belmont’s School of Physical Therapy who currently serves as an adjunct professor. “I began my involvement with the SGK Race for the Cure six years ago as a 3rd year PT student,” said Campbell, “but had no idea at the time that this would become a passion for me. We could not have had the success that we’ve had without the continued support of our Belmont students.” Continue reading

Physical Therapy students support Miles and Music for Kids

The annual event raised $636K for Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital

Belmont University’s School of Physical Therapy partnered with the annual Dierks Bentley Miles and Music for Kids motorcycle ride and concert to benefit Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital on Nov, 1. The event is the unofficial kick-off to the biggest week of the year in Nashville–CMA week. This year marked the 10th year of the annual event, with Belmont’s PT program assisting as volunteer staff since its inception in 2006.

In the past decade, the ride and concert has raised more than three million dollars to help Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital and has gone to support the hospital’s pediatric palliative care program. The program supports the hospital’s sickest patients, many of whom are facing the end of life. This money enables families to focus on their kids. “Money raised goes to families so they can focus their prayers on their kids getting well and not have to worry and pray about money. There is so much positive energy there and so many great doctors,” Bentley said.

Sells, Bentley, VoightThe event is one Bentley said he looks forward to year round. “I look forward to this show more than any other show of the entire year. We get to do something for the community, give back to the community,” Bentley said before the event. “We could not have taken this event to the level it now is without the help of my friend Mike Voight and his students at Belmont University. The Belmont students have been integral to the success of this event from the inaugural ride ten years ago to its current size.  I always look forward to working with them.” Continue reading