Hello from Chiang Mai, Thailand!

MelissaAfter close to 40 hours of traveling, we arrived in Chiang Mai with jet lag and excitement as the realization that we had reached our first destination halfway around the globe began to sink in. I can’t begin to describe how surreal this whole experience has been thus far. None of the group meetings and discussions could fully prepare me for the shock of being immersed in another country and culture. It’s such a unique experience to not only be an ethnic minority, but also to have a complete language barrier between myself and those surrounding me. Despite the differences, it is obvious how valued respect is in this culture. I am reminded that I need to be just as respectful of their culture. As an outsider, it is so easy to judge their culture by our Western standards but God is constantly reminding me to keep my eyes open to what He has to reveal and the beauty of His creation even on the other side of the world. Please continue to pray that we would see Him revealed even in the small things on this trip.
Already today we have had incredible opportunities to explore this country as we recover from jet lag before heading to Phnom Penh. This morning we woke up and took a rather frightening hour long van ride on the left side of the road to Maetang Elephant Park. Motos here do not have their own lanes but instead tend to follow the fastest course, even if that means riding the dotted line between two lanes and several trucks. Once at the elephant park, we all got to travel two by two on our very own elephants through the foot hills in the Chiang Mai Provence. This countryside seemed to preserve much of the Thai tradition, including huts with thatched roofs on stilts in rice paddies. The guides were unbelievably hospitable to us and served us a wonderful Thai lunch including fresh mango! I think we’ve already been spoiled by the delicious fresh fruit Thailand has to offer!

Once we finished the elephant ride, we were ushered to the next activity – riding in the cart pulled by Brahma! (sp?) (Local equivalent to oxen). Our driver, Yoon, was quick to introduce himself and proudly declared that he was 45 years old. He also informed us that the Brahma, Moo and Cow, were 4 and 7 respectively. Pretty soon, a race broke out between the drivers and we were off amidst shouts of “Number 1, Number 1!” from the competitive drivers. It’s amazing to see how eager our guides were to practice their English with us and laugh at our expense as we tried to learn Thai. At least we could all laugh together!
We also had the chance to visit the long neck Karen tribe. I’m sure most of you have seen the National Geographic pictures of the women with the metal rings around their necks. Girls as young as five or six begin wearing the rings according to a tradition with a disputed origin. Our team had the chance to visit them and see the intricate scarves they wove. This particular group of women were immigrants to the area that had been displaced following conflicts in their home country. It’s hard to imagine living a life in which people see you as a tourist attraction and I could\t help but feel somewhat invasive in that place.
We were so blessed to have the chance to enjoy Thailand and tomorrow we head to Cambodia! Please continue to keep our team in your prayers that we would be kept safe in travels and be well rested to start our time at the Hope Center. Your support and encouragement is absolutely wonderful!
Melissa