« Sunday Morning Update | Main | Sunday evening update »

June 12, 2005

Sunday Afternoon...and three churches later

Paul ChenowethWe we told only that the church was in a village and that they are praying for a pastor to serve them. The ride on an 11 passenger bus started like a rocket down the streets of Zhitomir, to the main highway toward Kiev, to a patchwork of an asphalt road, to something that resembled a washboard dirt road, and finally across a wheat field on something that would have thrilled most off-roaders in America. What an adventure...and to think they charge for rides like that in theme parks, go figure!

b_vill_church_group.jpgThe church at Khootir Brid, a community of about 1,000 people, was waiting for us when we arrived...perhaps thirty people in all, mostly women and children. Our team did a great job. Justin and Jenny gave their testimonies and Paul (that would be me) delivered one of the 4 messages that were presented during the service. The team sang two familiar hymns for the group...and the singing turned out well. Afterwards, several lingered to talk with the team. They were thrilled by the handmade crosses that Destri's mom and her church friends made for us to give away.

b_jeny_cross.jpg With last minute hugs and smiles complete, the team headed back to the Zhitomir adventure trail. The van we were in, by the way, was the only motorized vehicle on the church property. Many walked as far as three miles just to be in this service. Humbling comes to mind...

If I haven't said this already, I would go anywhere in the world with this team. They represent the university and their faith in ways that are beyond impressive...'just great people to be around!

...tired, but having fun,
Paul:)

P.S. More pictures from this evening's service will be coming after an evening's nap and some cooperation from the power adaptor that is re-charging the laptop.

Posted by Paul Chenoweth at June 12, 2005 07:30 PM

Comments

To those following our events in Ukraine:
I would like to take a moment to commend Paul for his awesome upkeep of this forum. Keep up the good work. Also, I would like to mention that Paul delivered a very powerful message to those in attendance at the evening service tonight concerning "The Vine" in John 15. Way to go, man! Just thought I'd drop some encouragement and a new perspective!

Posted by: Dan Oliver at June 12, 2005 08:03 PM

It really sounds as if all of you are not only having a great time, but that God is using you in some interesting and remarkable ways. Rough bus trips are good for the learning about others!

Posted by: Nell Magee at June 12, 2005 10:19 PM

I know that many of us are praying for you and look forward to hearing about your work via email and in person once you return to the States.

Grace & Peace,

Todd

Posted by: Todd Lake at June 13, 2005 04:08 PM

Kimb and Team:
It sounds like you are all having a great time.
All my friends in choir and myself are all praying for a safe trip and that you will touch the lives of the people you meet as well as being touched yourselves. The web is great. Paul you are doing a terrific job. Kimb I love you very much and miss you lots
Love Mom

Posted by: Terry Compton at June 13, 2005 07:15 PM