Church on Sunday Morning

hilla.jpgThis morning (Sunday) our group was surprised to find thick fog and cool temperatures to begin our day. The fog really made the seminary where we stay feel even more surreal to me. After a great breakfast served by ladies at the seminary, we headed out to Sunday school at the Iglesia Bautista Shalom. The building which houses the church also houses a school for 700 children. The school was created several years ago to serve children who could not afford to go to school. Of over 200 schools, the school ranks in the top 10 in the country, and they’ve even received an award from the government for their excellence. In fact, they’ve seen such success that many of the more affluent families are now paying tuition for their children to attend: (Contact the Shalom Foundation, info@theshalomfoundation.org if you want to help send a child to school – ~$35/mo. – that would otherwise be on the streets.)
I digress, back to the Belmont group…after touring the school, we were blessed to receive a lesson from the pastor especially prepared for us. He spoke from Psalm 41, emphasizing the blessings that God gives to those that “give regard to the poor”. Following Sunday school, we joined the church for a great (if quite lengthy) worship service. During the service, we witnessed a baptism, the ordination of a couple of men, a man’s new commitment to Christ, and a powerful song service. The children of the church swarmed to us, hugging us and holding our hands. Many of them sat with us throughout the service. I was told that the minister provided a great message, touching on a great number of useful topics. No translation was provided which allowed us to participate in a different way to see the typical worship scenario of these beautiful people. It was really nice to see the interactions, so casual and familiar, between the members.