Belmont University

Belmont Women Face Georgia In Opening Round

buWomenSelection.jpgThe Belmont women’s basketball team (25-6, 16-2 A-Sun) will head north to play a team from the south for its first trip to the Big Dance. The Atlantic Sun Champion Bruins will take on SEC runner-up Georgia (25-6, 11-3 SEC) in the first round of the 2007 NCAA Tournament.

The game is scheduled for Saturday, March 17 at Williams Arena in Minneapolis, Minn., with tip off slated for approximately1:30 p.m. ET.

Belmont was tapped as the No. 14 seed in the Dallas Region while UGA was selected as the third seed. It will be the first ever meeting between the two programs.

Atlantic Sun Champion Belmont enters the NCAA Tournament with a hot streak, winning eight of its last nine games. The young Bruin squad is anchored by two-time A-Sun Player of the Year and 2007 Tournament MVP sophomore Alysha Clark (Mt. Juliet, Tenn.). The 5-10 forward is fourth in the nation in rebounds (12.7) and seventh in field-goal percentage (58.7). Clark leads the team and the Atlantic Sun Conference in points and rebounds.

Georgia finished as runner-up in the SEC Tournament and wrapped regular season play as fourteenth in the nation. The Lady Bulldogs have won 11 of their last 13 games. Three players average in double figures – Tasha Humphrey (15.6), Cori Chambers (11.1) and Ashley Houts (10.0). Humphrey also leads the team in rebounding (8.4).

The Georgia/Belmont winner will take on the winner of the Iowa State/Washington game on Monday, March 19 in the 2nd round.

|

Comments

I want to let the girls know we are all proud of you at the Gibson house. I guess all those AAU trips were worth it. I love you Alysha (my second daughter) Good Luck to all the girls, show them that UT women are not the only girls that can play in Tennessee.

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)