Belmont University

Lost in TorriNation

jump_trip_sm.jpgWell, it all started as another venture to explore the beautiful Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine (Shrine of 10,000 Torii). As James, Shannon and myself wandered through the thousands of orange Torii that went on for what seemed like miles (and would soon become) we soon found ourselves not surrounded by the familiar orange we had started walking through. The adventure had begun.

The whole group had set out by train to Inari Station to visit the Todaiji Temple and Fushimi Shrine. When we arrived we all set out on different paths, Shannon, James and I stuck together to explore the Torii paths. We soon found ourselves on a path that had no orange Torii and realized that we were lost in Japan. I'll pause for a brief laugh.

We could have turned around and found the beautiful orange Torii path we had been following for at least 45 minutes, but we ventured on believing the path would lead us back around to the Temple. We were wrong. We kept on our own path only to come across a neighborhood full of homes. We were definitely lost now. But, we trekked onward stopping by the nearest Japanese bystander to ask directions towards the train station. It seemed each person we asked pointed us in a different direction, but that might just have been our interpretation of their directions :) Anyways, we then found ourselves on a main road. We followed that parallel to the train tracks. Eventually, we asked a Japanese officer (who needed the assistance of a nearby student) for directions that had us backtrack a few blocks to the station. But, before we back tracked, on the corner where we were standing we could see Kyoto Tower. We had walked all the way to Kyoto! There is no telling how many miles we had actually walked, but we estimate at least 2-3 miles. With the help of the student we found the Tofukogi station (which is just one stop from Kyoto station where we switch trains to Otsu) and headed home.

HunterWhat could have been easily frustrating for most people, we found humor and enjoyment in our adventure. Sometimes not knowing where you are going makes the trip that much more fun. At least I thought so ;)

Find a path and follow it, you never know where you will end up - Hunter

P.S. The video is posted on facebook of our travels. It is about 12 minutes of footage of a 2 hour hike...well worth taking a look at :)

|

Comments

great story hunter.. real explorers.. bad thing is this is going against your "good with directions" folder.. you are getting points docked and no excuses for not knowing the language or flat out being in a different country halfway around the world.

Sir!
Way to continue the grand tradition. Fushimi Inari is a wonderful place to get lost.

I am going to assume you found yourself in the town on the East side of the mountain. In fact, if you go back up to the top, you can cross over the mountain and you'll find yourself at a school.

I am so happy that you went exploring! There is adventure in that country wherever you go. Remember this: Everywhere in Japan, there is a mountain. Anywhere there is a mountain, there is adventure.

I would implore you and at least one of your cohorts to take advantage of your JR passes and book a free trip up to Sapporo for a weekend.

The differences culturally and regionally are worth it alone (it is the equivalent of travelling from San Francisco to Portland); but the history and vibe of Hokkaido are amazing.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! And, again, keep exploring!

-Justen Barks

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)