Belmont University

Photo Lessons from the Last Afternoon in Delhi

ChrisOur last afternoon in Delhi was filled with visiting the largest mosque in the city just after the evening prayer time, as well as walking through the neighboring streets and markets. All of these sights, sounds, and smells were so new to me that I spent nearly every moment trying to capture all of these new things on my camera, seeing the entire day through my viewfinder. So, about halfway through the street walk, I was talking with Dr. Stepnick, and I mentioned to her that none of this felt real, like I was actually seeing and experiencing all of this: the immense poverty and beauty on every corner, the dirt-filled streets, the storefronts with locals socializing all around, people so unlike myself and yet so exactly similar. She said, “You should try and put your camera down then.” It struck me with surprise. Here I had spent the entire day trying to “capture” everything, and I was seeing that all the “capturing” was factoring into a lack of quality experience, for the culture to talk to me and show me things to learn, to grow, to change.

wom_chi_jaipur240V.jpg stu_jaipur_fort240V.jpg beth_and_gatangali240V.jpg

Here is an example of some time in the mosque: I spent my twenty free minutes walking around taking pictures of everything I saw. In the corner, there were a few kids playing and running through a large group of birds that had gathered, making them flap and fly in every direction. I went over and stood about thirty feet from them and took some pictures with my film camera. A couple boys, probably around age twelve, came up to me and asked if I could take their picture, to which a half dozen or so other younger children jumped in a posed in a line, smiles all across. They all crowded around me to look through the viewfinder as well, and giggled and laughed. The older boy, who had spoken with me a few minutes earlier, asked me questions about where I am from and how my day was going, to which I replied and asked him the same. I looked around, and seeing that I was late to leave with the rest of the group, had to leave quickly. I thanked him, he snapped a picture with me with his own camera, and we wished each other well.

It was great to interact with him, but the whole time the most dominant thing on my mind was the camera in my hands, not actually the conversation I was having with the boy. This is why I can’t even remember his name. However, this was a very good thing to have happen in one of the first days, because I was able to employ different methods of understanding and observation throughout the following days, where I would go and sit in a space for a while, try to absorb the surroundings, and then take a few choice photos of things that caught my eye. Trying out different approaches to observation and visual sociology have been great, because the camera’s role in my being and my learning is changing, where I am starting to find a balance between the photographing and experiencing, and incorporating the two together.

The following days have been great, including a 6-hour drive to Jaipur, where Esme and I were able to sit at the front of the bus, lean out the window, and snap photos during the thirty minutes leading up to sunset. Other things have included elephant rides, the bazaar, and different old military establishments. The number of conversations surrounding Visual Sociology and our experiences with people in poverty have enhanced our understandings of our roles in the world, both as learners and servants.

Shout outs: Mom, Dad, Grandma: I’m safe and sound. Love you all. Faber and Mallette: I wish you dudes were here and I can’t wait to see you guys in a few weeks. MLB: I understand your heart for service so much more now.

Cheers everyone. And thanks for keeping posted. Our schedules have been jam-packed with things all day long, with little time for sleep. This is amazing, and we thank you for your support. We’re all learning and growing a ton. See you soon. We’re off to the Taj Mahal tomorrow!

Happy New Year!
chris

|

TrackBack

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Photo Lessons from the Last Afternoon in Delhi:

» Blog 'Life Line' for Study Abroad Classes from Chasing the Dragon's Tale
A Visual Sociology class from Belmont University, lead by Dr. Andi Stepnick left Nashville right after Christmas to spend several days touring and studying in India. As part of that experience the group is blogging: Visual Sociology in India. I have b... [Read More]

Comments

Happy New Year everyone! What awesome memories you will have from this holiday! The Taj Mahal to bring in the New Year! Chris, you are inspiring me to get my travel shoes on again. We love you and miss you and can't wait to see you. Mom

Sounds like you have arrived and I don't just mean in India. You have made me proud and blessed. Keep your life and lens in focus!

love you, dad

HI Chris! It is New Years Eve as I type this. Happy New Year to you, your friends and your professor as well. What a fantastic experience all of you must be having.I look forward to reading updates from all of you. Be safe. All of you will be in my prayers. Love you much! Grandma

Hi Andi! Happy 2009 Everyone! Bob and I love the pictures and the comments posted by both your students and their families and friends. What a great trip for all!
Love, M & Bob

Hey Chris! Sounds like a great trip so far and I'm glad to read about the insights you learned today.

Happy new Year!
KP

Hey Chris! Sounds like your experiences so far are truly awesome. I hope all is going well for you and your fellow peers. What you are doing is really inspiring and i wish you the best!
Love you!
tasha

Chris, sounds like you are learning a lot. Great to see you able to travel and experience some awesome stuff. Can't wait to see your photos, but if I see less because you are taking mental pictures, I totally understand. Sounds like you are getting the balance down! woop!

OK, I'll admit it: I started at the end of the blog and have now worked my way back to the early entries. Chris, this experience is like something that was custom-made for YOU! You are in the center of your giftings... your sweet-spot! I'm thrilled you were able to to this, and am confirmed in my speculation that you'd be a terrific addition to the 40 States in 40 Days team! If you're still there, enjoy! In any case, I will see you soon!

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)