« American have 'the clock', Hondurans have the time | Main | One broken bed for too many children »

Stealth Photography

matt_photog.jpgEvery member of our team has a camera. Not every member of our team has a degree in photography or the professional equipment to go with it...but one person has both. Matt Chenoweth's assignment on this trip is to capture the people, the places, and the mission efforts of the rest of the team. There are print production and presentation needs for the KidSake Foundation that will benefit from high quality film. Matt would be the first to tell you that he is much more comfortable with traditional film than he is with a file from a digital camera. The bad news for readers of Reporting from Honduras is that none of the images that Matt shot this week will appear electronically until he returns to the US for a marathon session of film processing and digitizing.

Looking through the digital pictures on my laptop today, I realized that my files rarely have a shot of Matt... you might think that a dad might pay more attention to his son on a mission trip, however, Matt has worked to be intentionally inconspicuous. Candid moments happen. Capturing those real, un-posed moments means that the subject of the picture may be unaware that someone has a camera focused in their direction and is composing, cropping, adjusting for light, and triggering a shutter.

Having one person dedicated to photography is a luxury for most mission trips and Matt's flexibility to jump in where needed in other areas has been an asset. Ask Matt about his up-close-and-personal spider experiences while painting near the library ceiling...or about improvising some Honduran electrical work...or hiking, alone across town where teams were working in separate places to help coordinate communications.

From previous mission trip experiences, I recall that there is always one team member who tends to be less visible in the activity pictures. That doesn't mean that what they did lacked importance or they are not contributing to the team efforts. Our stealth photographer, Matt, has worked dilligently to quietly accomplish his assigned tasks and has managed to engage where needed to support the overall goals of the team.

Yes. I am proud of Matt...and I am anxious to see the fruits of his labor.

Comments

Paul, you and all the mission team are in my prayers daily; we have also been praying for you in my GA group that I lead at my home church. Missions can be so abstract for children, and you've been a wonderful example to my girls, and to myself. This post was particularly poignant for me; I hope to have the opportunity to participate in missions work with my own children some day and know that this trip holds tremendous personal value to you for sharing the experience with Matt.

We'll hold down the fort here in Nashville -- God bless!

LM

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)