« One broken bed for too many children | Main | Who are these people in my pictures? »

10 Cent Meals

soupkitchen.jpgThere are numerous poverty-stricken families in Cane, Honduras. In a particular family of seven, only one of the little ones goes to school. He is seven years old. In a year or two he will have to drop out of school and begin working.

For them, childhood is over, Jenny Rogers, executive director of The KidSAKE Foundation said. They hope to be fed and to be warm and to get a pair of shoes if they’re lucky.

“They play, but they bear a burden that shouldn’t be the burden of a 7-year-old child,” Jenny said. “These children don’t have time to wonder and to imagine. They are hungry.”

Clementina, a 74-year-old woman who lives on a teacher’s pension in this third world country, runs a soup kitchen in her village for the poor children up to age 10. She used to feed 90 children two meals a day, but now she can’t afford it.

“Clementina is only feeding one meal a day to the 45 absolute poorest children, blending breakfast and lunch to spread it out,” Jenny said. “She’s feeding half as many kids half as much food.”

Even though she has reduced the amount of food she gives out, she is in debt to the market 200,000 lempiras. That’s about $1,100.

“Without Clementina, I don’t know what I would do,” one of the soup kitchen mothers said. “When I need milk for my babies, somehow she gets me milk. When I’m desperate, I go to Clementina and she helps me.”

Jenny believes Clementina perseveres because she holds on to the hope that somehow the children’s lives will be better than the mothers’ lives. She sees a beacon of hope.

For the past five years, Jenny has been that beacon of hope. She met Clementina, decided to create a nonprofit organization called KidSAKE, and has worked to help the Honduran woman with the soup kitchen ever since. She thinks about Clementina every day.

“I’m nobody,” Jenny said. “I am a single mother of three. So many times I have thought, ‘I wish I could quit’ because I’m so tired.

“But how do you quit on Clementina? When you’ve been here and you know there’s something you can do, you can’t quit.”

At the same time, she struggles to support her own family. She works full time, goes to school at MTSU full time, is a mother full time, and gathers as much money and support as she can to help Clementina and the village of Cane.

“I don’t think I could live with myself if I quit on Clementina and the children, but I can’t do this myself,” Jenny said.

She relies on the goodwill of others 100 percent of the time. Her own children are on the free lunch plan at school, so she can’t simply donate thousands of dollars from her own pocket. She tells the story of Cane to others to muster donations.

“Too often people think the little they do won’t make a difference ... so they do nothing,” Jenny said. “They are wrong. It takes 100 pennies to make a dollar. Think of all the times you pass by a penny because you’re too lazy to pick it up.”

Four hundred dollars a month would feed all 90 kids twice a day on the weekdays. That’s 10 cents a meal.

If many people share the load, it’s not a heavy load, Jenny said.

“Most of the people I know go to a fast food restaurant at least once a month,” Jenny said. “If you were willing to sacrifice that one time and put that money in a jar and at the end of the month donate it, you could feed a child for an entire month. That’s one value meal at McDonalds. Then, if 90 people gave up that value meal, we could feed all 90 kids.”

For now, only 45 of those children will eat a little food each day. And Clementina will remain in debt. Jenny prays she can somehow help Clementina and help the children.

Comments

We're praying for you guys. Thanks for the detailed updates. Send more pics!!
Wayne

God bless you Chansin and the rest of your group. We are praying for you and the people of Cane, Honduras.

Hey Chansin and all other that I dont know but wish I could be there with- lets do something about it. what if we went to fast food restaurants one day and stood and told the facts to cars pulling in... I dont know but I believe people would then do something...we could have envelopes that they could save that money for a month and then send it to them... I dont know maybe we could brain storm when you get back. let me know : ) ~Julianne

Chansin and others,
Your work is wonderful and important. I pray for your safe return.
Peace,
Thom

I have been really touched by this story. My husband and I have been thinking seriously about moving to Guatemala or Honduras and trying to start a small home for children and possibly widows. We only have social security income, but we are truly blessed and need to share our blessings with some of these precious ones, especially indigenous peoples. We adopted a little one in Panama three years ago, and she is an unbelievable miracle to us. My husband is 74 and I am 57, so we are somewhat limited, but we desire to give the rest of our lives to try to ease the lives of at least a few of these hurting ones. We would like to rent a house down there that we can use as a home and feeding center, and eventually hope to be able to have small school and vocational classes such as sewing, cooking, carpentry. Maybe this is all just a crazy dream, but we are sure ready to give it a try. It just seems so unfair for some of us to have more than we need, and throw food away everyday, when there are any little ones anywhere going to bed hungry. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get started, they would be greatly appreciated.

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)