Belmont University student wins 1st Annual F.A. Davis Undergraduate Nursing Scholarship

Megan MaddoxF.A. Davis is delighted to announce the winner of its first annual undergraduate nursing scholarship. An award of $1,500.00 will be made to Megan M. Maddox, a student in the BSN fast track nursing program at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee.

Ms. Maddox juggles her full-time studies with two jobs and volunteer work at her church, Cross Point Community, mentoring a group of high school girls. Her hard-earned 3.6 GPA demonstrates her outstanding academic achievements. She’ll complete her degree in December 2016.

In her application essay, Ms. Maddox explained what impact she hoped to make after she earned her degree. “With my degree, I will not only help people in need but I hope to speak with patients I encounter about challenges they are not only facing physically, but emotionally and financially. In the nursing practice, I want to be able to share my story with everyone and tell them that no matter what the circumstances their story contains you can achieve your dreams as long as you have the ambition to accomplish them. One quote that I live by daily is, ‘Ask yourself if what you are doing today is getting you closer to where you want to be tomorrow.’ Every day I wake up and apply this quote by pushing myself towards my goal succeeding at Belmont University and holding that Nursing Degree in my hand.”

This summer she is working as a barista at a coffee shop across the street from her university. “I absolutely love my job right now but my heart yearns every day to finally reach my career goal of becoming a nurse in December 2016.”

“The response to our announcement of this scholarship exceeded our expectations,” said Jean Rodenberger, Editor-in-Chief, Nursing. “We received over 1,300 outstanding applications. Our applicant pool was extremely diverse, ranging from traditional college freshmen to non-traditional students returning to school or just beginning their secondary educations. Selecting the winner was a difficult decision, but Ms. Maddox in her application and her essay demonstrated the very special nature of those who have chosen to be nurses. Her story is one that should inspire all of us. With Ms. Maddox leading the way, the future of nursing looks bright as a new generation of dedicated students embarks on the challenging yet rewarding path of becoming a nurse.“

The application process was open to students in good standing enrolled in accredited nursing programs in the U.S. and Canada for the 2015 school year with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, pursuing RN, BSN, LPN/LVN, or ADN degrees. Applicants completed an application form and submitted an official transcript, proof of enrollment, and a short introduction and essay. Information about future scholarships will be announced on F.A. Davis’s web and social media sites.

The scholarship prize can be used for educational purposes only, which include tuition and/or related expenses such as books or school supplies required by instructors for their courses. (Room and board and other taxable expenses do not qualify.)

About F.A. Davis Company
F.A. Davis Company is one of the oldest independent, family-managed publishing houses in America. Since 1879, we have been meeting the needs of nursing, medical, and health science professionals seeking information of the highest quality.

Today, F.A. Davis carries on that tradition through its print, digital, and online products for students, educators, and clinicians in Nursing and the Health Sciences. Our flagship titles, Taber’s® Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary and Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses® are among the most trusted names in health care.